Sometimes Car won't start? - then it does

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've had this problem more or less since i've had my car. Its an Ek4 B16a2 hatch. Basically sometimes when i go to start the car i turn the ignition all the way -as usual- and nothing happens. No tick-over, no wizzing, nothing. All the lights come up as if it was on the 'ON' click on the ignition, but it makes no attempt to start at all - as if its imobalized. If i turn the ignition all the way fully off again and then try it again it works without fail. I don't know if it could be something to do with the removal of my OEM stereo deck because i only really noticed it after i fitted my aftermarket cd player in (but to be fair i changed to an aftermarket deck like 2 weeks after i bought the and i've had it a year now). Its not really a massive problem but it is a bit annoying, and i'm worried that one day it won't start at all!
Anyone got any ideas on this one? i've searched the forums and can't see anything similar.
Its been fully serviced, i even upgraded the spark plugs to iridium's and the ignition leads to 10mm core ones if that helps.

electrical

5+ Year Member
hi, check the starter swich, i use to have that problem on a ´94 Mercuru Tracer, and that was the problem, the switch get rusty inside, i just desamble it an clean it all and the problem was gone, try and let me know.

sorry for my english, im from venezuela

:lol:

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'll check out the starter today or tomorrow, maybe give it a clean or somethin. It sounds like a reasonable cause to be honest. cheers guys

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get a post and tap the starter if the battery is bad it can mess with the starter and cause it to seize hit the start noid and try to start try that.

jason e-ek4

5+ Year Member
same thing occured with my EK4 last April. your problem is that the starter solenoid is about to fail. trust me.

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this happened to me last month. if it was the battery your dash lights would be dim and ur car will not make any attempt to start. check ur battery,terminals,grounds,starter, alternator and alternator belt.

my problem was a loose alternator belt..that caused my battery not to hold a charge, that caused my starter to temporarily sieze =P.

Project "H"

Project "H" Racing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had the same problem last week i had a corroded and loose battery cable i cleaned it and tightined it off i went.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you have a manual trans, check your neutral safety switch. little switch behind your clutch that gets pressed in so that you have to push in the clutch in order to start the car. get underneath that dash and check it out. you can adjust it, so it might be a cheap easy fix. i actually had this same problem so a bought a new switch, but then i realized i could adjust my original one. problem solved. lemme know if you need a new switch ill sell it to ya cheap