Sony Deck Installation ...help!

flippo

Got a civic SI (american ex) that didnt come with a stereo in it so im planning to by http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Xplod-CDX-GT54WUI-Car-CD-Receiver-with-USB-1-Wire/12016339 off someone i knew. hes selling it to me brand new for half the cost. I don't see any loose wires where the stock stereo used to be..so i was wondering if bought this would I still be able to install the deck in the car? my friend said i needed a wiring harness or something, is he right? if that is the problem, would the deck come with one or i would have to find one? sry im a wiring newb. thanks. any help is appreciated

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
ooo:shock:...this thread is primed for the audio heads to explode on it lol.
the factory wires that run to your stereo should be in whats called a "harness"
what you need to buy is a adaptor wiring harness, or the "female end." all cars(that i know of) have the male end come from the car, and the female hooks up from the radio itself. like this.
male on left, female on right.

The stock radio had the "female" built into it.
so all you need to do is buy the female end, and hook it up to your radio. (i.e. solder and tape all the connections according to the instructions. thankfully all aftermarket wring harnesses that you can buy have the national standard wiring. so when you get your new stereo, you just match up color to color and your good to go.,

so, in review: you have the plug that goes into your new radio(should come with it). the wiring leads from that plug get soldered to the wire leads from the female adaptor that you buy. then the male wiring harness from the car plugs into the female harness. and bam!!!! Babies fly out of your speakers!!!!!!

Black Magic

I'm Rick James, b***h
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What year is your car?

The first few steps of this write-up might help: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=148939

To answer your question, yes you will need a wiring harness. Any car audio shop should carry them. You simply connect one end into your car's factory harness, and you solder the other end to the harness for your deck

meengreen

I can't figure out how to start a post, anyone can tell me how to?-I have an Eclipse CD5435 aftermarket cd player/radio put where the old radio was just using a housing(tech did it not me), and my 6 cd changer is still in trunk. There is the wire plug for the CD changer( in my trunk) dangling under the dash near the back of the new radio,,this radio says it can handle a secondary cd player, so what wire adaptor do i need to connect some wire from the new radio to that plug going to my trunk cd changer.....will I be able to find an adapter to do this....I'll call around tommorrow, the radio tech left me hanging on this issue, guess he wasn't totally up on this step...