Soon2bsick Vtec

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Hey everyone, It's time to start a project thread for my first civic I've ever owned.

Purchased: 1/22/11

1997 Sedan EX 5speed
AEM Intake
Aftermarket Exhaust (unknown)

this is how she looked when I brought her home:

The not so great things about it:

High miles
Left side covered in Hail dents

PLANS
NIY = No Idea Yet

Exterior:

Paint Steelies (lose the hub caps)
Black primer
New tail lights (red & clear) *purchased*
New Head lights (OEM Clear) *purchased*
Front lip *purchased*
Side skirts (NIY) *purchased*
Shocks (NIY)
Rear Upper Strut Bar *purchased*
Front Upper Strut Bar *purchased*
Tint

Engine:

(basic gaskets for partial rebuild)
NGK Wires *Installed*
Run Royal Purple *Purchased*
AZ Battery
4-2-1 Header *Installed*
Misc Dress up Items

Interior

Blue LED Shift Light *installed*
Vtec Engaged Light DIY *Installed*
Custom Passenger Seat Console
Black Carpet
Black Headliner
Aftermarket Steering Wheel *purchased*
Short Shifter *purchased*
Redline Shift Boot *purchased*

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
First Modification: Interior Painting

So I, like most dig the black theme and not really feeling my grayish interior. Don't really have the know how or resources at the moment to go searching for all the OEM black parts for this thing so I did what most do and what I Wanted to do and I painted the front quarter of the interior.

I dig the blue, most don't... but I do.
All interior done with 1 to 2 coats of duplicolor vinyl & fabric paint and then 1 to 2 coats ontop of that with Krylon paint for plastics

Pics From: 01/23 & 01/24

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Second Modification: Exterior Work

My car's body pretty much looked like the exterior of the car that tupac got shot up in, except there were no holes just lots of little dents from hail. So today we (me and my dad) started work on those ugly things, Lots of sanding, body filling and primer. Going to get at it again tomorrow but we really came a long way today and it looks 80% better. We also worked on removing those ugly splash decals but the razor knife broke so we'll try again tomorrow with a new one. I plan to run a black primer until I save up the cash to buy the paint I want, oh and..when I figure out what color I want it.

My old man

in the middle of all the dust and body filler the mail man stopped by to drop me off my new grille and ClubCivic lanyard :D

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
its coming along nicely.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Mountaineer <3

So this is the part where I'll explain why I got the civic, because its my thread and I can lol

My first love is my 2000 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V8 4X4

Shes a beast...
She loves to climb.
She loves to pull.
She loves to shine.
And she loves stopping at the gas station lol

I like to think of her as my all American Bitty Tank, My 4x4 Mini-Van on steroids,

but looking past all I love about this SUV, I get 16mpg AT BEST. And considering my classes are 60 miles away, and when I start academy I'll have to drive at least 70 miles a day. This gas mileage is really a kick in the arse. So in June of 2010 I fell in love with my friend's neighbor's 93 civic sedan EX 5 speed.
It was nothing special... body was rough, interior was rough, it wasn't lowered and the tires on it were too big so it almost looked LIFTED. But it sounded sweeeeeet. So after getting to know the guy and watching him work on his CRX (which...I think is one SWEET RIDE but I needed something 4 door) I started looking up information on civics and researching forums like this one AND saving up money. I couldn't sell my mountaineer and then buy a civic because I couldn't chance being without a vehicle. So it took me a while because..well I had no job haha so I did odd end jobs and nearly settled for 3 or 4 civics that were not what I REALLY wanted. I wanted EX, I wanted 5 speed, I wanted it to be a sedan, and I NEEDED it to have AC (Florida...AC is a must)

I decided not to settle for the other cars and a little patience and a lot of faith got me the EXACT car that I wanted. I even wanted the paint and/or body to be crappy so that I would have an excuse to run around with just black primer for a while. And that's exactly what I was blessed with,

So the fate of the mountaineer... is that it will be sold. I've had my fun with this truck and it has never let me down, but all that money I make off of it can go into the civic for things/upgrades that I want and need.​

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow, like the Mountaineer, looks clean, you should get some money out of that when you sell it, the Civic will get you better gas milage though, the grill looks great, can't wait to see it on the car, BTW, good looking build thread, I will check on your progress regularly.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Wow, like the Mountaineer, looks clean, you should get some money out of that when you sell it, the Civic will get you better gas milage though, the grill looks great, can't wait to see it on the car, BTW, good looking build thread, I will check on your progress regularly.

Thanks Man, I appreciate the feedback

emerican

Registered VIP
subscribed in for all the updates on this one looking good man good luck with it

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would get new head and tail lights. try a heatgun or hairdryer on the decals. Will most likely work better. goodluck with the build

oh and go get that tint redone by a professional or remove it. bubbled purple looks horrible

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
I would get new head and tail lights. try a heatgun or hairdryer on the decals. Will most likely work better. goodluck with the build

oh and go get that tint redone by a professional or remove it. bubbled purple looks horrible
yeah I noted all those things in my wanted mods list, right now I'm focusing on body work cause nice tint on a P.O.S. body looks even worse lol

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do you want to sell your old halo headlights, my buddy likes mine but doesn't want to fix the moisture problem, yours don't have that issue, PM me a price & i'll let him know.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Alarm Systems, Body Filler & Paint

So I can't decide if someone has been trying to get into cars or if there is a lot of annoying cats out tonight, about 35 minutes ago I heard the neighbors alarm go off on their beamer and you never hear car alarms going off in my neighborhood, and then about 5 minutes ago my alarm on the civic went off as well :what: at least I know it works. :slice:

Got more done on body work today, Gotta finish the other side sometime this week and sand again.

(My boxer/black lab mix Presley with his chewed up basketball)

We got out 90% of the dents so I am overly pleased with the progress, there were a TON of little hail dents on the left side of this thing. Next I need to do the 2 or 3 on the right side and pop out one good sized dent on the drivers side passenger door (didn't even notice the dang thing until we sanded it) Probably going to go ahead and paint the rear door panels since I'll have to take one off anyways to get to the dent.

after I get all the body work finished I will be ordering my black epoxy primer, I'm gonna run around in that until I decide on a color/colors. I want some Kustom Shop Hot Rod Flatz but I don't really wanna put out the $150 for a flat black I could make with a rattle can. I do love Cobalt Blue but ... I don't really want an all blue car. So everything is kind of up in the air at the moment. I think once I get my black primer on I am just going to black gloss the steelies and throw some duplicolor metalcast blue on the lips of the rims and run in that until I finally decide on something.

these are some of the colors I've got going in my head right now... none of them I want as a single color. I want them just some how incorporated into the paint scheme, but I'm saving them on here for future reference.

Cobalt Kandy

Deep Purple Kandy

*NON CANDY PAINTS*

Viper Blue

Daytona Blue

Cobalt Blue Firemist

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Do you want to sell your old halo headlights, my buddy likes mine but doesn't want to fix the moisture problem, yours don't have that issue, PM me a price & i'll let him know.

I want to sell them eventually but right now I don't have the money to buy the ones I want, and I can't be without headlights lol

I'm looking at headlights like this:

and these type of tail lights

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Love the tails you want, the head lights look the same but with chrome instead of black, nicer imo, I need to hit mine with some polish to get the haze off of them & get the moisture out of the passenger side light so they look ok till I get new ones.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Love the tails you want, the head lights look the same but with chrome instead of black, nicer imo, I need to hit mine with some polish to get the haze off of them & get the moisture out of the passenger side light so they look ok till I get new ones.
yeah, I don't want to lose the halo's but I want a clear look so those should suffice.

I clean my lights with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, stuff works wonders on plastic AND windows for some reason and doesn't leave residue. A lot easier than pulling out the buffer and headlight cleaner

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
eh i dont really like halo's. No matter what you get, they will get moisture in them unless your reseal them well or get oem. but its your car. Ha you are going to a blue kinda like me

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Halo's are ok imo but oem looks cleaner & more of a simple look that my car seems to need, & get rid of my blingy rims.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
agreed, but OEM makes it also look like the 500 other civics in my city. I'm growing fond of the halo's just not the black ones, but we'll see how it goes. Not going to make any decisions on lights until I get the epoxy black primer on and paint the rims, and even then I'll be about ready to take a break on the exterior/interior and start working on whats under the hood. Never been a fan of all show and no go, but I also don't want it to look like a pile of poo.

Eventually I want new carpet, seats, rims, side skirts, different bumper, lips, short shifter, steering wheel, ect ect

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol when you own a civic, nothing will ever be unique. just as many have halos as they do oem. but your car, as long as you like it and are happy