spare wheel area leak?

pauldriscoll123

5+ Year Member
i have a 98 ex coupe
yesterday i went into my trunk and lifted the mat up to find that there was water pooling around the spare tire and tire jack kit.
there are no other visible leaks in my car and it has been quite nice the past week only with slight drizzling right before i found it
any ideas?

OblivionEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Same problem on my 98 ex coupe. I'm guessing yours has a sunroof?

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mine had that problem. check where the bumper is attached on the right or left side that where water was coming in for me

pauldriscoll123

5+ Year Member
yes i do have a sunroof.
and i also have a gap on the left and right side of my bumper where you can see the metal clips
it was like that when i bought it. i think its only a bent clip tho.
you think thats where the water is coming in?

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ya that is where it is prob coming in, what happen to me was that the dealer i got the car from had an aftermarket bumper put on it, i noticed that it was leaking and took it back to him and he fixed it some how

matt9112

5+ Year Member
since its in an area you cant see much you could probably use a decent grade sealant but idk im not pro mine leaks too i just let it ride lol it drains out of two holes i have drilled.
for when its on inclines because it mine i have a big hole for a bolt since ive had it too.
but my trunk is striped carpet ect...

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a way u can find where it is leaking at the bumper is take a hose and spray the outside where it might be leaking and look on the inside to see if water is coming it

pauldriscoll123

5+ Year Member
thanks for the suggestions guys. ill do that whenever i stop by back home
my shitty landlord never gave me a hose for my apartment and im one of the many broke college kids

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wtf does a sunroof have to do with water getting in the trunk by the spare tire??? anyways, Its ur trunk seal. I had the same problem on my EJ8 and replaced the trunk seal and no more leaks..GL

n2hifi

5+ Year Member
wtf does a sunroof have to do with water getting in the trunk by the spare tire??? anyways, Its ur trunk seal. I had the same problem on my EJ8 and replaced the trunk seal and no more leaks..GL
because the sunroof has drain tubes which obviously drains the water out of the sunroof area.. normally this drains out to under the car BUT when they get clogged which they ALWAYS do the water backs up and drains elsewhere and it usually ends up in the spare tire well to be honest.

I have this same problem on my 98 ex and to fix it you have to pull the rear side panels out and unclog the tubes , i am pulling my headliner out in a cpl weeks and will fix my issue when i do so