Spark Plug Help!

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was adjusting my valve lash today, and I pulled the spark plugs out, and noticed they were bright red. I searched for spark plug conditions/colors online, but didnt find any that were as bright red/orange as mine. Does anyone have any idea whats making them red? Is the motor running too hot or something?

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe detegent in fuel?

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Some say Detenation maybe?

Some also say a Light Golden to Brown color means the Air/Fuel ratio is good.

hayabusa160

5+ Year Member
did you use octane booster or anything of that nature?
it will make the combustion chamber turn red.

avenger

loves the clutch
5+ Year Member
hayabusa160 said:
did you use octane booster or anything of that nature?
it will make the combustion chamber turn red.
MMT, does it many times...

otherwise orange is usually from too high temperatures for the plug, or detonation

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Their NGK G Split or something or other. Their NGK's tho for sure. I did use octane booster earlier this week. I did some more searching, and eventually found a site w/the same color plugs mine were. It said red/orange was from fuel additives. But I was talking to my fiancee's dad, and he says it looks like its running too hot. So..I dunno. The engine seems to be running fine (for having sucked up alot of water last month..)

Dusty Hale

Auto Parts Technician
5+ Year Member
EJ6Civic27 said:
Their NGK G Split or something or other. Their NGK's tho for sure. I did use octane booster earlier this week. I did some more searching, and eventually found a site w/the same color plugs mine were. It said red/orange was from fuel additives. But I was talking to my fiancee's dad, and he says it looks like its running too hot. So..I dunno. The engine seems to be running fine (for having sucked up alot of water last month..)
Try running a colder plug. I recommend the NGK V-Power standard copper plugs. Try gapping them about
.02 - .05 less than factory specs.