spark plug wire drama

DizzyRoc88

platano ranger
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well ive been having some issues with these wires for a while now. this is the second brand new set i get in a month and i had the same problem with both. my car has been stutter for a while now and it happens throught the whole rpm rranger i posted this problem on another forum and they werent able to say much. when i changed to the new spark plugs this week the stutter had gone away then a few days later it came back. i opened the hood and noticed two of the wires were out...so i but them back and same thing stutter stops but it came back...

now last night...im running through 1st and 2nd gear now problem i throw 3rd and im pushin 85 under open throttle and the stutter comes back its like something was holdin me back all of a sudden.

ive been told it was my pcv valve and is seein too much blowby and that needed to be replaced. and another person said that my pistons were overfiring...i havent heard of either of these before. but if you guys have any ideas help me out

thanks in advance

djnoodle

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would check to see if the spark plugs are tight! if they are then maybe the spark plug wires werent on tight enough

DizzyRoc88

platano ranger
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
trust me when i say they are tight!!!!...i had 3 people check them before i started driving. they were in as far as they go and werent going anywhere

DizzyRoc88

platano ranger
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats the wires im talking about im not having any problems with the actual spark plugs, they are not the problem and that wouldnt make them come out

djnoodle

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not having the spark plugs on tight will cause that!!!!!! if you dont beleive me i can take a pick of my hood where it beat the spark plug wire into my hood! the compression can leak out of the spark plug hole, forcing the spark plug wires out

DizzyRoc88

platano ranger
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok but what im saying that in my case thats not tha problem thatsn ot whats making them come out

djnoodle

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont know what to say bro, i cant think of anything that will force them out other than leackage from the spark plug hole. good luck though

DizzyRoc88

platano ranger
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive posted this on another forum and this was what i got

1. my motor was seeing too much blow by
2. pistons were "overfiring"
3. change the pcv valve

djnoodle

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have never heard of any of those. when i try to think about it, logically i think - what could force those wires off the spark plugs and out of socket? and i cant see "overfiring" diong anything unless there was a gap in the spark plug hole, which you said there wasnt. pvc valve has no conection that i can see to the wires, and i dont know what blow by is.

is the problem still happening? what type engine? and what wires are on there now?

WiggerMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what about your distributor cap and rotor? are those new? or been checked recently?

SQL2112

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, its a shot in the dark. A friend of mine once put his spark plugs in as tight as they would go and after we finally got them out, he had screwed up the threads somehow and the plug wires would never stay on after that. Ended up having to get a new head.

You have to torque them to factory specification, which I think is like 40 inch lbs on the d16y8. That is not tight at all. Its like 3.3 ft lbs. To put it in perspective, I think your lug nuts go on at like 80 ft lbs. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, you should never do anyting to your car unless you have a torque wrench and a manual that gives you the factory torque for every nut and bolt on the car. Thats just my opinion.

DizzyRoc88

platano ranger
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow this was dug up from the grave. problem was never found but it wasnt the actual plugs i know that for sure