Speedo cluster swaps

fendertwangen

5+ Year Member
My 1996 honda civic DX has some speedometer problems and I would like to put in a cluster with a tachometer. I see them in other models but dont see any for sale that states they are from a DX model. Will any 96 cluster work?

KWH924

5+ Year Member
Any 96-00 EK cluster is plug and play

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yep! Just FYI aside from any 96-00 Civic Cluster working, you can also put any 97-01 CR-V Cluster in your 96-00 Civic as its Plug-n-Play as well.

djkritik

RASTAMAN
5+ Year Member
yeah...I just swap mine yesterday.....I also swap the speedometer of my old one....the millage was smaller...its easy as one two three!!!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yep! Just FYI aside from any 96-00 Civic Cluster working, you can also put any 97-01 CR-V Cluster in your 96-00 Civic as its Plug-n-Play as well.
:word:

that's what ive got. dead sexy IMO :yummy:

clicky

Last edited:

knivesout

¬ µ ∫ ç π
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Damn the CR-V cluster is awesome! That gives me something to think about...

a4x0n

sixth gen owner
5+ Year Member
For a while I was thinking about the s2000 cluster swap.. it's expensive though, and you have to have the cluster modified so everything's working. This guy did a pretty good job...

rsboy

5+ Year Member
newbie Q...
Is there a how-to on swapping the center gauge from my current cluster to an EX cluster? I want the tach and all that but I want to keep the actual mileage of my DX.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
newbie Q...
Is there a how-to on swapping the center gauge from my current cluster to an EX cluster? I want the tach and all that but I want to keep the actual mileage of my DX.

Did you not read the second post?

There's no way to sync the odometer unless you just keep driving until its the same. Just write the difference and put it somewhere in your car.

KWH924

5+ Year Member
Don't they check mileage on inspections? I guess just find one that's close

rsboy

5+ Year Member
Did you not read the second post?

There's no way to sync the odometer unless you just keep driving until its the same. Just write the difference and put it somewhere in your car.
did u read my post?
the second post just tells me it's plug and play... not an answer to my question.

I'm talking about moving the actual center gauge on my DX (the one that has the mileage info) to the new EX cluster and replacing the center gauge(with mileage) that came with it.

i would like to know if there is rewiring involved? unbolting the center gauge? etc... OR if it is even possible to do without destroying the whole cluster.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Don't they check mileage on inspections? I guess just find one that's close
The law requires you to have a little note that stats what the difference between odo reading and the actual mileage is, actually you have to have two, by your VIN in the door and one somewhere inside the car like the sun visor or something. You also have to tell anyone who asks the actual mileage of the car, like if you get your oil changed somewhere or when you are registering the car at DMV.

mrmarc

5+ Year Member
did u read my post?
the second post just tells me it's plug and play... not an answer to my question.

I'm talking about moving the actual center gauge on my DX (the one that has the mileage info) to the new EX cluster and replacing the center gauge(with mileage) that came with it.

i would like to know if there is rewiring involved? unbolting the center gauge? etc... OR if it is even possible to do without destroying the whole cluster.
RSBOY: Yes you can. On the back of the cluster will be four screws that hold and connect the speedometer to the cluster. Remove these four screws to remove the speedometer. Drop your old one in, and put the four screws back in. Voila!