Speedo Gone Wild

rebirth

5+ Year Member
I was driving this morning and all of a sudden my speedo went haywire. It just spins constantly, and I can feel it affecting the car while moving. It even moves while sitting still. I went from 0-60 in less than half a second which is far from normal for a civic or any other car. Would this be the speed sensor, or a bigger issue. I have a video from my phone.

youtube video
http://youtu.be/LKBiwzsW8x0

96 civic ex coupe
automatic
d16y8
engine rebuilt in dec 2010
trans replaced in sept 2011

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
speed sensor, or the gauge is bad, my guess is the sensor

Vtec Missing

Had this same problem. Try to clean the speed sensor connector first it worked for me. Let me know what happens. I used QD Electronic Cleaner

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That is one faaasssttt civic.

lol my guess is speed sensor. Mine was bad when I bought the car and the guy I bought it from said it did that before finally going bad.

emerican

Registered VIP
Speed sensor IMO, i never heard of cleaning the connecter, but it wouldnt hurt to try that first before you bought a new one.

CmojiHX

Damn Pigeons
I clicked on this thread expecting some person in a speedo, then I thought to myself why would I click it, needless to say I am dissapoint.

Turtle_Civic

My buddies is doing that and it is his cluster. I know because I put it in my car to see if it was the cluster or not and it was.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
For me it was a blown alternator fuse, and that was the first sign of the car dying. After that the radio would go on and off, lights would dim... power windows failed... then the car died haha.

rebirth

5+ Year Member
Had this same problem. Try to clean the speed sensor connector first it worked for me. Let me know what happens. I used QD Electronic Cleaner
I went out and found a blown fuse under the dash and replaced it. pulled out the vss connector but all i have is brake cleaner, and carbarator cleaner. Wasn't sure if I should spray either one on it. I do want to try and clean it first though before replacing. No idea how much a new one costs. I reset the ecu after replacing the fuse. It was okay for about 10 minutes, and then went crazy again during a drive My cluster lights are now dimming off and on while at stop lights. The car would not give me reverse at one point as well.

Oh my left headlight bulb blew last week. My corner light has a short , and does not come on unless you have the turn signal on so the headlight always blows before the passenger side. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I checked every fuse under the dash while replacing the other. is there another someplace?

rebirth

5+ Year Member
For me it was a blown alternator fuse, and that was the first sign of the car dying. After that the radio would go on and off, lights would dim... power windows failed... then the car died haha.
That is the fuse I replaced. I checked all the fuses under the dash, and that was the only one blown. unless it blew again, I might have a larger problem. I just invested a lot of money into a new engine and trans so dying is not an option.

rebirth

5+ Year Member
My buddies is doing that and it is his cluster. I know because I put it in my car to see if it was the cluster or not and it was.
I really don't have a way to check that though. Also I don't want to get rid of my cluster. It's going to screw up all my milage info for both engine and trans. Right now it's being ran up though even I am not moving. I went 2 miles just sitting still at almost 100mph. lol

rebirth

5+ Year Member
I clicked on this thread expecting some person in a speedo, then I thought to myself why would I click it, needless to say I am dissapoint.
hahaha yeah that would have been funny......although I don't know if I would have clicked on that either.

LiveEj6

I had the same problem i replaced the speedo, still went nuts. chased wires for an hour or two one of the speedo wires was smashed.

taylor3.8

i was having the same issue with mine.... i pulled the cluster out and cleaned all the connections with some electronic safe spray cleaner, now it works great.... or atleast it has for a bout a week now. maybe try that