Speedometer Calibration EJ1

CaptainJochem

Respected
Hello and a very good evening Club Civic! This is my first post here and would love to find an answer to my question. I have recently bought a very lovely EJ1 Civic and absolutely adore it; however, there is one problem... The speedometer is broken and I have already determined it to be the VSS due up excessive corrosion. The only problem now is that my speedometer is reading 0, but from the other side, in other words it has gone through the top speed and is now resting below the 0. How can I calibrate it so that it will read properly once I get the VSS replaced?

I drive a 1994 Civic EJ1, stock, no mods by the way. 258,000km on the odometer.

Last edited by a moderator:

RonJ

Banned
The only problem now is that my speedometer is reading 0, but from the other side, in other words it has gone through the top speed and is now resting below the 0.
^Not at all clear what you're saying

...but sounds like the speedometer is also broken and must be replaced.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This may sound kinda dumb, but you should just be able to pull the cluster out, hold it upside down and tip it around to reset the needle (there's no real resistance on it when it sits). I don't recall if that's enough force to move it, otherwise, you can just pop the clear front off the cluster and tip it back with your finger.

The girlfriend had an issue with her VSS shorting and it flung the speedo needle around the 140mph and it sat pointing at 6 o'clock. I pulled it out and flipped it back around and there has been no issues.