Speedometer does not work.

jsanders

LegacyCore
5+ Year Member
Hey everybody I have a 2000 Honda Civic DX hatchback that I just recently purchased. And I'm having a little issue with the speedometer. It does nothing at all, the needle is stationary at all times. Here is all I know about that car:

It was originally an automatic car, the previous owner swapped a d16y8 transmission into the car. It does have a d16y7 under the hood still. The swap was done VERY well it looks factory even the interior looks factory. Except the cluster, the last owner installed an auto EX cluster into the car. Well nothing worked at all on the auto EX cluster so I installed my DX manual cluster I had laying around from my last Civic. I know for a fact that everything on this cluster works so I know it is not the cluster. Everything on the manual DX cluster that I installed works except the speedometer. It still stays stationary and does not move at all. I have yet tried replacing the VSS because the dealer I got the car from said they hooked a volt meter up to it and they got a reading on the meter. But that is going to be the first thing I'm going to replace, the only other thing I can think of after that is wiring. Is there anything else that could be wrong that would cause the speedometer alone on any cluster to not work? All the stock harnesses are on the car still, none of those have been touched so everything is very clean in this car. I just can't think of anything else, so any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Clean VSS, that works sometimes. If not, replace it.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's what was wrong with mine. Needle never moved. Went to Harry's and picked a VSS out of a 94' Sedan. Now my Speedo has been working for the past 500 miles.

jsanders

LegacyCore
5+ Year Member
Today I replaced the VSS and still no speedometer. But then I noticed something else, none of the gauges are working. So now I'm at even more of a loss, what else could it be?

hartkeld91

My speedometer quit working when I had my clutch replaced. Find the connection coming from the firewall into the transmission, If it is loose at all or looks like its not connected, or just doesn't look right it is probably the speedometer gear itself. Does the odometer work? I think they're connected to eachother in ways. Look in the chilton book it should be able to show you where it is located and how to change it. I Lost my book, otherwise I'd be of more help, hope all works out!

maclaban

Can anyone help? I got a 2008 civic and my speedometer ,tachometer and my temp gauge dont work! Any help please?