Spray Paint Question

Jon247

I plan on painting my Si grill i got from my cousin since its blue i plan on painting it black. But i was just wondering i had some paint laying around the house and was just wondering if i would be able to use this to do the job or am i missing something, etc.?

Jon247

im just painting over the blue part on it.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You need wax and grease remover and some sandpaper to get that paint to stick.

Jon247

i already have the rest of that stuff i just want to make sure i have the right paint before i start sometime this week.

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah that paint will work. seperate the blue section from the grill. sand it down. clean it real well, then start layin paint.

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
220 would be to rough, you would still see the sanding marks in the paint. i think what i used to sand my CTR mirrors was around 400 and they came out pretty smooth.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your car is the stock taffeta white , they sell the exact color you need at auto zone. Dupli-color brand. If you use the white shown above you will see a color difference

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your car is the stock taffeta white , they sell the exact color you need at auto zone. Dupli-color brand. If you use the white shown above you will see a color difference
That white is a primer.

Use 800-1000 grit sand paper, you can pick up a Rust-oleum tack cloth from walmart to clean it. Dont go over kill on sanding. it looks like it is in good shape so all you need to do is scuff the current paint and clean it

Son2BEGO

5+ Year Member
Id be wetsanding it too with highest grit you have atleast 400

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk 2

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That white is a primer.

Use 800-1000 grit sand paper, you can pick up a Rust-oleum tack cloth from walmart to clean it. Dont go over kill on sanding. it looks like it is in good shape so all you need to do is scuff the current paint and clean it
haha dang i didn't even read the labels..i was probably confused cause i don't primer black paint with white primer

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Some of the crappiest paint ever, also not sure why you have white primer with black paint, any rock chips will show through bright white. I don't see this turning out well at all.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Some of the crappiest paint ever, also not sure why you have white primer with black paint, any rock chips will show through bright white. I don't see this turning out well at all.
I always use a different color base primer. If rock chips are revealing your primer under your paint coats, you are f**king up pretty bad..I do agree that white is probably a pretty drastic difference, but that's just my $.02.

As far as that color, it should be okay. A lot of people will recommend you to paint-match it at a body shop, but that can be pricey, so this is a decent alternative. Just follow what others have said in this thread, and you'll be good. Also, Dupli-Color sells Flamenco Black Pearl paint in a spray can at Auto-Zone for touch-ups, if I remember correctly!

Jon247

Annd my car is black so of course i plan on painting this piece to match the car, just wasn't sure at the time what color primer i should of gotten since I'm pretty new to this.

Jon247

Hey guys i just finished putting the clear coat on my grill, now i have a quick question. theres little imperfections or bumps that i wanna smooth out, should i wait 24hrs after the clear coat dries then smooth it out and add a couple more coats?

DTvn

If you have bumps you should probably sand it down and start over

Spray lightly and give it multiple coats

Jon247

There not really bumps there just little imperfects that you could barely see, its not that bad that i have to start over again lol.
This is how it looks before the clear coat,