Spring rates

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'll be placing my order for Koni shocks with Ground Control sleeves. Still contemplating what spring rates I should go with, I'm thinking 350F/300R or 400F/350R range. Car might be autocrossed a bit, but it's primary use is just a fun summer road car. Looking for some more opinions;)

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
?

Kamikaze

Sesquipedalian
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Former autocrosser, I'm running GC coils/springs on Tokico struts. Sorry, don't know the spring rates (nor have I run this car yet) but I seem to recall a counterintuitive tip: run softer springs in the front than the rear.

I remembered this because I would think that the engine/heavier front would call for a stiffer spring, but I read some article that said the opposite actually improves handling. You may want to look into beefing up the sway bars while you're at it.

If you don't already know, coil-overs alone will put you into the STS class. So if you don't have other mods, you may not be too competitive... (which is why I've never run my civi ;) )

Good luck!

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Former autocrosser, I'm running GC coils/springs on Tokico struts. Sorry, don't know the spring rates (nor have I run this car yet) but I seem to recall a counterintuitive tip: run softer springs in the front than the rear.

I remembered this because I would think that the engine/heavier front would call for a stiffer spring, but I read some article that said the opposite actually improves handling. You may want to look into beefing up the sway bars while you're at it.

If you don't already know, coil-overs alone will put you into the STS class. So if you don't have other mods, you may not be too competitive... (which is why I've never run my civi ;) )

Good luck!
Not to concerned about what class I would be in for autocross. I'd run it just for the hell of it if I even do. Yeah different sized sway bars play a huge roll in what spring rates you run as well. If I go with a soft spring rate I'll probably only want a 22mm rear sway at max. I believe shelf rates are around 300/275 but I can order something custom for the same price. Thanks for the help;)