Sputtering and Stalling

id0notkn0w

5+ Year Member
I'm currently having a problem with my (Honda Civic DX 2000 Hatchback) sputtering and stalling. It pretty much started 2 weeks ago, I remember I almost ran out of gas where the light just came on then, I filled my tank to full. I then drove a few miles and parked and shut off the car. An hour later I started it and it started to sputter and wanted to stall, and actually did a couple times while driving, but it always starts back up. I changed my fuel filter and already went through 3 tanks of gas with fuel(injector) cleaner and I'm still having the problem. It mostly does it during a warm start after driving it for awhile and I let it sit for an hour or two and I try to start it (sometimes it has a problem starting at that time) then it starts to sputter and sometimes stalls. I already took it to two mechanics and they couldn't find the problem or it didn't sputter/stall for them. What I'm seeing online is it could be maybe a dirty throttle body, ICV , ECM or (fuel)main relay?. I have aftermarket exhaust, headers and air intake system. This vehicle have no codes showing up. Any suggestions? Thanks!

brian762

5+ Year Member
Sounds almost like a fuel pump starting to fail.

RonJ

Banned
Any CEL codes?

Have you inspected the spark plugs, and the contact points inside the distributor and on the rotor? Any signs of cracking, corrosion, burning, or dust inside the distributor?

id0notkn0w

5+ Year Member
Any CEL codes?

Have you inspected the spark plugs, and the contact points inside the distributor and on the rotor? Any signs of cracking, corrosion, burning, or dust inside the distributor?
Thanks for the response,
Last mechanic I took it to went through my distributor and spark plugs and said it was all good, plus I had a tune up a year ago so the plugs and wire is new.

Today is pretty cold in NY compare to the past 2 weeks were it has been hot. I didn't really have that problem today except for getting it to start. It took a couple times but was fine in the morning. I'm getting closer to maybe it's my main relay because when I drive it around and then I park it for awhile like 30min-2hours then that's when I have to most problem with it sputtering and maybe stalling. For example i got on the highway and going maybe 60 and all of a sudden lose gas power (the pedal is all the way down and I'm not getting any gas and it trys to snd sputters) and then its fine. I never stalled going fast like on the highway. Usually I stall after-wards when about to stop at a light.

RonJ

Banned
Any CEL codes??

I recommend that you inspect those ignition parts yourself. If you don't know what to look for, post pictures of the tips of the spark plugs, the inside of the distributor cap, and the contact point edge of the rotor.

Also remove the coil and ICM from inside of the distributor. You can resistance test the coil and some auto parts stores will test the ICM.

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
the fuel pump might not be pushing out enough pressure to keep your car running. happened to my girlfriends car. no codes, getting good spark, and fuel was coming out of the rail and all when i tested that. but i had to go rent a fuel pressure tester and that solved the problem.