sqeeking when letting go the brake, why?

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a sqeeking noise when i let go my brakes during stops, my brake pads are new. Why does this occur?

legendking

Resident Cynic
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you use OEM Honda pads? Most brake pads will still have some noise, especially if they are aftermarket or metalic/semi-metalic

Mahlmann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i don't think that would be the pads... usually when the pads squeek when applying the brakes when slowing down... when you're experiencing may be the cylander (sp?) in the caliper... that used to happen to me sometimes

Shea

bored
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that noise can be heard sometimes if you don't lube the caliper pins during reassembly

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What do you mean by "experience may be the cylander? what can I do to stop the sqeek when LETTING go the brake.

Where is the pins in the calipers? What kind of Lube I use?

Hmm... now it sqeek when I brake... Oh Darn...

At first I thought the rotor needs to be resurface, but then again, the guy at my shop said I don't have too.

Shea

bored
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the caliper pins are located on the top and bottom of the caliper, they are covered by a rubber sleeve but when disassembling the brake assembly you need to take the caliper competely off and they are easily accessible

some auto parts stores sell brake caliper grease but wheel bearing grease will work just fine

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I painted my calipers, like long ago. Can that occur?

What sizes bolt ranch do i need to removed it?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Rear drums need to be adjusted. I have the same exact problem. Squeeks when you let off the brakes.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Civicpmp said:
I have a hatch, but it sounded like it's from the front.
It wouldn't matter if you have a hatch, sedan, or coupe. It matters about what kind of brakes you have. All '96-'00 Civic sedans and hatches in the US have rear drums. Only the Si coupe came stock with rear disc brakes.

Might be the pads if it's coming from the front though.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Civicpmp said:
When you said, Ajust my drums, what do you mean by that?
I've never adjusted my drums. I got this diagnosed by Honda though. Just didn't get it done yet (have bigger problems).

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do you still have that problem? I asumed that it's the rotor. Can it be?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Civicpmp said:
Do you still have that problem? I asumed that it's the rotor. Can it be?
I never had a problem with my front rotors. I need my rear drums adjusted.

You have front rotors and rear drums. Drums have shoes inside of them and rotors use a caliper with pads.

Mahlmann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Might be the pads if it's coming from the front though.
but the pads aren't doing stopping... when you let go of the brake petal the piston in the calliper is retracting and the pads are separating from the rotors

9civic7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Rear drums need to be adjusted. I have the same exact problem. Squeeks when you let off the brakes.
its not so much that the rear shoes need to be adjusted, but more the fact that they need to be lubed. They are probably out of adjustment as well.
To lube your rear shoes you need to remove the drums and then with a screwdriver pull the shoes slightly away from the backing plate. You then lube the backing plate where the shoes touch the backing plate. You want to use a high temp type of grease. I have done this many times and different cars and it takes care a a squeak coming from the rear when letting off of the brake pedal.