Square vs round

v-tecvillan428

5+ Year Member
very good sub

this is true

in 2006 kickers suspension, voice coil leads, venting, and frames were all changed.

in the 15 years that you have been doing this i would expect you to know something more than "look up the specs"

i HIGHLY doubt that youve been in the 12V game since you were 6 years old. im callin :bs:

again, youre way off base. the decibles that a subwoofer produces is a direct relation to the box thats been built for it. not the cone size.

base is frequency, you are correct. frequency is the movent of air, am i wrong? more surface area = more air movement. why do you think noone else makes a square subwoofer you ask? because kicker has a patent on the design. noone else can do it

lol.... memphis.... not knockin the brand at all.... but they come in a f**kin plastic basket. vs kickers solid cast aluminum basket. and kicker offers the same thing with the warranty. but its only a year. you dont have to send it to stillwater designs to get it replaced.

and if you wanna go one farther.... lets take a look @ the big SOLOX. its, cone, suspension, and coil are all replacable if something were to go bad.

take your so called 15 years of experience and go install some more walmart pioneer head units for your friends.

First of all, how old do you think i am dickhead? im 31. and another thing if you any of the s**t you were talking you would know that only the memphis PR series come in a plastic basket, the M3's and MOJO's are solid alluminum as well smart ass......and oh, one more thing memphis cones, and coils are also replaceable!! have been since 1997, who the hell you think kicker got the idea from?? im not trying to argue with anyone on here, im here giving advice, so dont start running your mouth without the experience to back it up

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First of all, how old do you think i am dickhead? im 31. and another thing if you any of the s**t you were talking you would know that only the memphis PR series come in a plastic basket, the M3's and MOJO's are solid alluminum as well smart ass......and oh, one more thing memphis cones, and coils are also replaceable!! have been since 1997, who the hell you think kicker got the idea from?? im not trying to argue with anyone on here, im here giving advice, so dont start running your mouth without the experience to back it up
lol, my previous employeer.... ya, we were the second biggest kicker dealer on the eastern shore...

and im not a dickhead, im a slightly educated person when it comes to kicker car audio.

*post edited because reading owned me

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haha! i stand corrected. i was lookin at your post count as age.... sorry about that. either way. your information isnt factual. read more

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and while im calling out your ignorance.... you might want to change your car profile as well.... you sure as hell didnt go 120 mph posting a time of 12.99 with 268 whp

:thumbs up

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Kicker does not hold the patent on square woofers

square woofers have been made for years.

I would prefer to use a DD or a Memphis before I run a Kicker.

Yes technically a square woofer has more cone area, problem is, all the pressure of the excursion is not divided equally , it is focused on four corners.

So Kicker saying it has more cone are, is an advertising ploy for stupid people.

I would prefer a round woofer with a larger excursion.

And technically, the decibels a woofer produces is in direct relation to box it is built, and the environment it is in. Everything has a resonant frequensy, so if you are going to build a SPL vehicle, the first thing you want to find, is the resonant frequency of your car. The choose your woofer and build the box specifically for that frequency.

when it comes down to it, it is all in the enclosure and install.

We have posted a bigger SPL using SQ woofers than a kicker square set up running the same amount of power.

Using composite baskets has a reason behind it. I will always stand behind Memphis equipment.

Good stuff. Many companies use composite baskets. MB Quart (before they became s**t) Used composite, why. Because it doesn't resnate and introduce unwanted noise

Last edited:

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Bwahahahaahahhaha

OMG

well

the square sub has been used in home audio components for about 40-50 years.

Kicker didn't think anything up by this design.

Took something someone else has invented, wrapped in a cute kicker box, and sold to anybody who would buy it. Under the advertising that it has more cone area.

Again I would take a solid round speaker with further excursion and a solid motor, than a square woofer

v-tecvillan428

5+ Year Member
Bwahahahaahahhaha

OMG

well

the square sub has been used in home audio components for about 40-50 years.

Kicker didn't think anything up by this design.

Took something someone else has invented, wrapped in a cute kicker box, and sold to anybody who would buy it. Under the advertising that it has more cone area.

Again I would take a solid round speaker with further excursion and a solid motor, than a square woofer

Thank you

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
home audio doesnt seem to fit into the 12v patent category. im not arguing that they are the best speaker out there. i would take a round speaker any day of the week. in particular, a 15" concept of a 15" shocker... to each his own.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Kicker Solobarics (square) are crap.

If you check Circuit City's damaged goods auctions, Kicker Solobarics are listed "not working" 10 to 1 over Polk , Alpine, SAS Bazooka, etc...

Kicker Comp, Comp VX, and Comp VR (round) are pretty good in terms of reliability. :what: at least compared to their square cousins.

My stepfather has CompVXes in his Ford F150. They hit good and have been reliable. :what: They cost more than I paid for my Polk Momos though. They were only about $20 ea less than Alpine Type Rs. But he wanted Kicker. :what:

I think the shape thing is largely a gimmick. Sony is pentagon shaped, Kicker is square, and SAS Bazooka is triangular. I really don't see an advantage over the traditional round except you can pack three triangle woofers in a tighter area by flipping one upside down.