Squeaking belt or water pump: What should I do?

Chucklee514

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Take off your alternator belt and spin the alternator by hand. Try to check for spots that drag or fainst squeaks. A bad alternator can cause the belt to slip due to the excess drag, or the alternator can cause a squealing noise due to a faulty bearing.

RonJ

Banned
thanks but i am not that willing to go to the other side of pa, and i dont think you would wana come to Pittsburgh. I could change the parts myself but i dont have one tool to get it done, but i know some people who do.
I think i figured out where the squealing is coming from. I took off my power steering belt and it still squealed when i started it up, so i put that back on and took off my alternator belt. When i turned it back on, there was no noise so i concluded that it is my alternator belt. I put that belt tight as possible and started it up and nothing again, but i drove a little and i hear little squeaks. I need a new alternator belt. So once i get around some weekend to change my timing belt and water pump i will change the p/s and alternator belt. and i hope my car will be back to normal... so far, i still have other issues with it but it doesn't need to be taken care of, its more annoying to hear.
Definitely first try replacing the alternator belt; however, another possibility is that the alternator bearing is squeaking, which would require the alternator to be replaced.

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Take off your alternator belt and spin the alternator by hand. Try to check for spots that drag or fainst squeaks. A bad alternator can cause the belt to slip due to the excess drag, or the alternator can cause a squealing noise due to a faulty bearing.
I wouldn't think its a bad alternator, i just got a new used one last year. But i will try that to see if that is the case, thanks.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nick, this isn't true. Old or improperly installed timing belts often skip teeth.
Sorry, I phrased it wrong. I know they can skip teeth. I meant that they will not cause a squeal by skipping like the other belts do. If I remember correctly, though, a bad tensioner may squeal, but this not nearly as likely as the accessory belts.

And if your timing belt has skipped one or more teeth, you have worse problems than a little squealing.

RonJ

Banned
If I remember correctly, though, a bad tensioner may squeal...

Anything with a bearing has potential to squeal, though I think the water pump may be a more common source of squeal behind the timing belt covers.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anything with a bearing has potential to squeal, though I think the water pump may be a more common source of squeal behind the timing belt covers.
True, true. If you're down in there, though, you might as well replace everything. Anyway, it's rather unrelated to the OP's issue. :lol:

OP, just a side note. You mentioned you tightened the alternator belt as tightly as possible. You should avoid this, as it can create premature wear on the alternator bearings.

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok so anyway i got all of my belts on and a new water pump. When i took off my old pump coolant went every where and when we got everything back on, i filled my car back up with coolant. On the way home i quickly noticed my car was overheating. I am guessing no coolant is going through my system and i dont know what to do. Is there air trapped some where? can someone help?