SRS Light on when accelerating and egg smell

notorious9i6

5+ Year Member
I drive a 1998 Honda civic EX, (ej8)

So i was cruising down on one of these road one day, and i engaged v-tec on one of these straights. Then i heard this loud screech sound, (i think it was my alternator belt) and the SRS light came on. The belt would screech a few more times on my way to my commute until completely stopping.

Later that day (5 hours or so) since my screech accident, i notice this foul rotten egg smell. This also happens when i accelerate. It comes through the a/c vents especially.

This happened a week after i change my radiator because the stock one was cracked. The same time i got my radiator replaced, i also had them change the oil and transmission fluid.

So my car smells like rotten eggs and srs light pops up when i accelerate.

I did reset my srs light many times and it doesn't help the problem. (The one where you get the yellow wire to reset it. [blinks twice]).

Any help would appreciate, from what i looked, it looks like the alternator is giving to much volts or something and the egg smell is my cat. but i kknow nothing about cars lol.

stateofjustin

Did you take the belt off the alternator and rotate the pulley by hand? It should spin freely... if not... new alternator.

If other accessories share the same base pulley (crankshaft), you need to check those as well. Sounds like one of them is not fond of turning anymore. Also look for anything that may have gotten into the path of the belts, as well as inspecting the belts. Look for abnormal wear marks and that should help you find where the belt is rubbing something if it is.

HONDUH22

this is just my opinion an i may be wrong but rotten egg smell can sometimes be a clogged cat. as for the srs light. that can be anything from a bad sensor to a blown fuse. pls some1 " " me if im wrong. :idea:

stateofjustin

The SRS light could be lit by a number of things definitely, including a malfunctioning alternator. And the rotten egg smell isn't actually the cat, it's from the fuel that was used in the first place. High sulfur content = Rotten egg smell.

HONDUH22

Thank you for the correction. I didn't know that. Still in school for automotive technology but some things I am still learning.

stateofjustin

We're all still learning, no matter how long we've been wrenching.

Some of your most valuable skills can come from breaking things or screwing up (in any area of life, not just fixing cars).

When someone thinks they're done learning or thinks they know everything... they become a very poor mechanic (and quite possibly more).

So, definitely no sweat man. ;)

In this case the belt or pulley noise is one of our hints, but more investigation is necessary.

Pictures are always great, but we don't often get them here.