stall while driving an restart with loud poping noise

tymeboi

ok i have 91 civic si it would sometimes stall while driving but not die and sometime it would stall and the engine would shut off and if u wait for 10 sec or few tries it would start right back and you could hear a big popping noise ive search many furms but dont really know if that is the problem some say either a backfire im not sure but could anybody help. Again it would stall and die while driving and after u restart there would be a loud poping noise then it would drive fine again.

RonJ

Banned
Have you done a basic tune up (plugs, wires, cap, and rotor) and checked the ignition timing with a timing gun?

Any CEL codes blinking from the LED on the ECU?

eg6white305

Popping noise from the exhaust or the intake? Check spark plugs and plug gap, dizzy, timing. What mph would the car stall?

tymeboi

well i woud have to guess it would be from the exhaust cause right after the loud popping noise there would be a big smoke out of exhaust the stall would usuall happends at around 60-70mph and at times when coming to a stop which ever comes first. also i did change the spark plug.

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It sounds like you are way to rich and flooding the engine out. It could be your O2 or MAP send wrong signals. My brothers prelude did the same thing until it just wouldn't start up again. Turns out the MAP is bad/broken.

tymeboi

wel i went ahead and did the fuel filter replacement and is running good without any problem took in on hwy for about 45 min out town and back it is all goood thanks everyone