start up misfire

Teck95

5+ Year Member
Hi i have a 95 civic dx with a short ram intake and a catback the car just recently started misfiring upon start up doesnt do it all the time and after running for a while if i shut it off and let it sit about 10 mins it misfires when i start it up the cap and rotor are a year old as well as the fuel filter. i just replaced the plugs and wires and it still does it. i do have some oil leakage onto the outside of the plugs iv replaced the valve cover gasket 3 times and it still leaks. also every couple weeks it overheat because im loosing coolant some where and help at all would be great im completely stumped and dont have a load of cash to try and correct this problem. also the car has 221k on it

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you changing out the spark plug hole rings when you change the valve cover gasket?

RonJ

Banned
Any CEL codes?

You are losing coolant. Does the engine also overheat? White smoke in exhaust? Oil in cooling system? Coolant in oil? You may want to check for a blown head gasket by doing cylinder compression and leak down tests.

RonJ

Banned
Is the white smoke at start up just normal condensation in cold weather or is it more than that?

Teck95

5+ Year Member
even when the cars at running temp it still has a lil smoke i notice quite a bit of water in the tail pipe though

RonJ

Banned
As you are losing coolant, pressure test the cooling system in an attempt to locate the leak. If none is found, do a cylinder leak down test to see whether cylinder compression is lost into the cooling system (=blown head gasket).

deevibez17

1999 Civic Hx
5+ Year Member
story of my life, i tried diagnosing my overheating prob. until i blown a head gasket. now i jus wanna ride it out until i save enough for a swap.

SnoFox4

Most Boring Car
Don't jump to conclusions, do a comp test. It could be a burnt valve, head gasket, piston rings, scored piston lining, valves adjusted incorrectly (so that they're held open too long), it also could be ignition related.. have you tested the spark plug for each cylinder? Check to make sure all of your injectors are opening too, one of them could be getting old and gummed up.

Just check the four things needed for combustion: air, fuel, ignition, exhaust.

Teck95

5+ Year Member
still havent figured it out starting to hbave quite a bit of white smoke when i start up

Teck95

5+ Year Member
so my white smoke is getting worse im going through a half gallon on antifreeze a week so im pretty sure its the head gasket iv been searching diffrent had gasket kits and reach my new dilema graphite head gasket or multi layers metal any suggestions please and thanks

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
head gasket is shot. i always use the triple layered metal gasket. its not a bad job if you knw what u are doing. i would recommend changing the timing belt and water pump while u have it all torn down.

Teck95

5+ Year Member
well since im not miling the head i figured maybe the graphite would be better