Starter or Solenoid Problems

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well i recently got a sweet deal on a 2000 SiR and the only problem is that it wont start, but the previous owner said all it needs is a starter. He didn't try to resolve the problem, and allowed the car to sit for a few months.

First thing I want to try is to figure out if it's the starter or the solenoid for the starter? My battery is currently dead, but I'm going to swap it out for my dad's later today. So when I try then, if it ticks, but doesn't turn over it's the starter thats the problem, and if it doesn't make any sound it's the solenoid.

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to locate where the starter is on my Civic. I tried searching some images on the net and still couldn't get a good picture. Maybe someone on this site has a blue print or the engine with the starter, or could easily tell me where it's at??

Once located and with the new battery in, I want to try and start it while tapping on the starter with a hammer, try to see if it will turn over then. Possibly it could work?

I know of a few Civic's around this area too, but none of them are SiR's. Will there starter fit for my civic is another question??

Thanks for the help.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Basically the started is connected to the tranny via the engine so look around ur trans and u will find it.
Make sure all the connections are good and then try and start it.

If it doesn't start I would push start it since I'm assuming u bought a car that u never heard run and there is a good chance there are other problems.

Once u hear the car start then shut it off and do the tap on the starter trick.
If this doesn't work then try jumping the starter.

Are u sure its the starter? Might be an ignition problem.

Also, just go to a parts store and get a new starter for the correct vehicle. They are inexpensive and then u don't have to worry about using used parts..

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And if u determine it to be the starter then pull it out and have it tested before u buy a new one..

lil95ex

i own a 95 coupe and mine is located on the passenger side of the motor kinda towards the back under where my cold air piping runs because i had to replace mine about a month or so ago but on the '00's i think it might be on the driver side of the motor towards the back dont hold me to it but look both places i would upload pics for you but cant right now the weather is terrible i'll try later on today though

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

The starter location in the pic is at the top, rear side of the case that meets the engine. It is held in by two 14mm bolts (location seen in above pic on either side of the starter mounting place). It has two connections (1 is a female lug that just slides on the male post and the other is a 14mm nut), and there is a wire harness connected to the top of it that is held down by a 10mm bolt. You can use a 14mm box/gear wrench to do the nut holding down the one connection (under a heavey rubber boot by the motor mount). Just slip off the female connector (next to the other connection under a small rubber boot). And then a 14mm deep socket w/ a 3in extention for the two bolts connecting it to the engine/trans. Chances are it will be on pretty tight so you may need a breaker bar or a "cheater" to add to the end of your ratchet. Or if you have air you can fit an air ratchet in there. I just did this 2 days ago and had no issues with the tooling stated.

lil95ex - You are thinking of the alternator on the back side of the engine on the driver side. Starter is on the passenger side for Si's/SiR's also =)

RonJ

Banned
Once you have a fully charged battery installed, check whether the large starter motor wire has battery voltage and whether the small solenoid wire has battery voltage and the solenoid clicks when the key is turned to ON(III). Next test the transmission ground wire (continuity to body ground) located atop the transmission. If all those are fine, the starter is likely bad.

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So this is what happened..

I boosted my battery with my dads car, and after a few moments i got him to try and start the car while I tapped on the starter with a hammer. It would turn over and make noise, so the solenoid was good? We kept trying and i tapped a little harder on the starter and the civic roared to life with a ton of squeaks.

Instantly smoke every wheres with the continuing of the squeaks. I told him to stop and he turned the car off. What looks like what happened is that the wheel on the alternator is seized up. Possibly the alternator is poop cuz the smoke was like a dusty like light brown smoke. The alternator belt broke, and i used the other end of the hammer to see if the wheel on the alternator could move or not, and it couldn't.

So i believe its seized up and needs to be replaced. I have done this a few times before on a older civic, protege, and a Chrystel so no worries there. Hopefully after i install the new alternator i can go back to the starter problem and see if it needs to be replaced right away, maybe the civic will fire to life after the install and work fine?

Input??

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks.

BTW where is the Jack in this civic?? Its not under the spare tire, is it on the side behind the trunk panel? Just want to ask before I rip it apart lol.

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I called one Junk yard that I know has an SiR in it and asked about an alternator. They called me back and gave me a few numbers and said the alternator has a Mitsubishi logo on it. This is supposedly the same alternator listed for the SiR by their computer? He said if mine were the same it would work. So i started taking the alternator off and realized I had no Jack.

LOL so minor delay, but does anyone know if this alternator sounds right. Good deal on an alternator only 65 bucks and they tested it and everything works, compared to 245 lol.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A lot of electrical stuff for all cars is manufactured by mitsu.

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not in Saint John,NB haha trust me. parts are always more expensive around here.

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol, and thats another story, ill have to wait till the morning to jack the car up and take the bottom bolt off. its getting dark here, and its raining :(

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn bolt at the bottom of the alternator was seized up.. got the heat on it and moved it about a cm before i decided to call a day..

trying to not get discouraged..

tye

S.T.U.D.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
still can't get that f****** bolt out, now i cracked a corner of the valve cover trying to move the alternator back and forth.. getting really pissed with this car and debating on getting rid of it, and getting a different civic... why does life have to be so difficult.

lil95ex

oh ok thank you i only really have experience working mechanically on mycar i havent worked on to many other civics other than my gen