starter problem , easy question

lvlistchif

5+ Year Member
ok just did a b16a2 swap in my 96 ex and i modified the wiring harness plugs and got the jumper harness for obd1 (b16a2 is obd1). i think my battery is somewhat dead but i hooked up a charger to it while trying to start it and when i go to crank it over the lights dim out and nothing happens. dosent crank, dosent do anything. i hear my fuel pump prime but the engine dosent crank. im assuming my battery is somewhat dead but i thought it would still start with the charger hooked up. battery read 11.8 volts WITHOUT the charger hooked up and charging. NOW, my question is, i have a positive from the battery going to the starter and the ignition switch hooked up the the starter. is there also a small ground that goes to the starter or is it grounded through the motor itself?

95CivicLx117

yes, there is a small wire that goes from the starter to a ground on the motor because this happend to me when i put a new tranny in.

lvlistchif

5+ Year Member
from the screw-in hole on the top of the starter to the motor? or from the starter to a relay in the fusebox?

95CivicLx117

there should be a black wire from your starter. follow that and make sure it has a good ground. if thats not it then check your battery n wires.

lvlistchif

5+ Year Member
grounded where is what im saying i have no ground wire at all on my starter right now. where does the black wire go TO and FROM? from starter to the chassis/motor or from starter to fusebox relay ground?

bow2000SI

assure that the voltage potential at both the battery and starter are the same. also assure battery is grounded properly to the chassis and engine and as well for the starter. The dc voltage should remain the same at starter and battery, regardless of ground to chassis OR to engine

RonJ

Banned
NOW, my question is, i have a positive from the battery going to the starter and the ignition switch hooked up the the starter. is there also a small ground that goes to the starter or is it grounded through the motor itself?
No. The starter is grounded by its contact with the transmission via the G3 transmission ground wire.

RonJ

Banned
yes, there is a small wire that goes from the starter to a ground on the motor because this happend to me when i put a new tranny in.
there should be a black wire from your starter. follow that and make sure it has a good ground. if thats not it then check your battery n wires.
As I stated above, this information is absolutely incorrect. There's no ground wire attached to the starter.