Starter Spins but car WONT START!

YoungBuck

I have a '93 Honda Civic LX SOHC 1.5 Liters. i just replaced the timing belt, water pump, air filters, front calipers, rear drums, spark plugs and flushed the radiator. after finishing my battery was dead because of a current attachment to the car. i tried to jump start the car but all that happens is that it cranks but doesnt turn over. Please Help!!!! :x

skribs89si

pissin on authority
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
did you check for spark? either you're not getting spark or fuel. pull one of your plug wires and stick a plug in it and touch it to ground then have someone turn the car over to see if theres power to the plugs. if you see spark then youre not getting fuel. if no spark occurs it could be one of several issues in your ignition system

YoungBuck

i bought brand new spark lugs just to make sure. i turned the key over and it turned over but died almost at the same time. so i tried a few more times. i then took out the spark plugs to check them and they all had gasoline on them. the starters working and i can feel and see the timing belt and serpentine belts moving. the engines just not turning over.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did u make sure all grounds are tight. If they come loose it can cause this. Especially the thermostat one since the injectors won't get fuel if it's not grounded

RonJ

Banned
Mr. YoungBuck:

What members are saying is that you need to do some basic troubleshooting. Get to work. For example:

Listen for whether the fuel pump primes.

Check for bright white spark at all four spark plugs. See link in my signature.

Make sure the spark plug wires are installed in the correct firing order on the distributor cap.

Check for CEL codes. Click link in my signature.

Double check your mechanical timing.

YoungBuck

ive checked just about everything i know. the fuel pump primes and the timing is right. the spark plug rods are in the correct firing order. spark plugs are firing just fine. you can hear the main relay cut on before you crank the engine. the starters turning the crankshaft and the cams turning just fine. its just not roaring to life

RonJ

Banned
Triple check all the items I mentioned. If they're fine, compression test the cylinders.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How come u didn't change the cap and rotor as well? U sure you connected everything back up and that ur getting spark? You may have flooded it at this point, pull a spark plug and make sure theres not fuel all over em. Could whatever u had that drained the battery have shorted ur ecu as well? Speaking of which have you checked fuses?

YoungBuck

havent checked the fuses but im not sure if it shorted the ecu. but i know im getting spark but i think the problem is the the engine keeps flooding