Starter staying Enguaged?

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Engaged****

on my civic i had some oil leaks from the Rear main area and so i pulled the motor and fixed them. I put it all back together and when i went to start it, the starter sounded different - like really deep. It sounded funny but would work like normal. So i swaped out to my spare starter and it did the same thing. I took the tranny off again and checked the flywheel and everything and it had some build up of lock-tight and so i cleaned it off and threw it all back together. i start it back up and it now sounds normal when i crank but it screams like a b**** as if the starter wont disengage. I changed out the starter and it does the same thing. Both of the starters bench tested just fine. I have never had starter problems with this car and i dont understand what is going on...what are your thoughts?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
My thoughts are a bad starter relay or the solenoid. I believe the solenoid is attached to the starter though (correct? Been a while since i've looked) so if you've swapped them, you probably used two solenoid's making it less likely to be that. Again, i'd check the relay. Probably stuck closed/open. Spray it down with contact cleaner or solvent and see what happens.

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
got it handled. you can delete this thread.