Starter Switch Fuse getting no power.

lovevii

So. I replaced the starter today hoping that would fix my no-start problem. (Gets old to have to push start your car whenever you wanna go somewhere... Thank goodness for manual transmissions)

Car still won't start. Starter is getting 12 volts. I think the battery is good, it's putting out over 12 with voltmeter. Tested the fuses inside the car (It's an 89 Honda Civic Hatch) and they're not getting any power. I hate electrical problems, but does anyone know what could be causing this?

When I turn the key, the fuel pump primes and the dash lights come on, but the engine doesn't crank. It's just silence.

Caymanized

New to Civics... Be nice!
Checked all the ignition components and tested them with a voltimeter? Is it doing absolutely nothing, or is it turning over but not firing up?

Ok so it does nothing... Check the ignition system components and see where that gets you. Coil, cap, everything.

Last edited:

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds like an ignition system issue. are all the plugs inserted correctly? does the batttery have corrosion???

lovevii

It's definitely something ignition related. The car runs fine when you get it rollin and jump the clutch.
The problem is, I'm a noob and have no idea how to check most of these things myself. Any directions would be appreciated. =)

Caymanized

Check your ignition coil, Follow the only plug wire that doesn't go to the cylinder head, see if it's corroded or hooked up even. When's the last time you replaced your plug wires?

lovevii

I haven't changed them since I got the car. I've only had it about 6 months. I'll check in the morning, it's too dark to see.

Caymanized

Ok, check that, and if it's all connected, run a continuity test on the ignition coil itself.