starting "hard" when its hot out

Kelzy

5+ Year Member
i have a '95 civic ex sedan, with the 1.6L vtec motor. I recently JUST bought it and im new to honda's. I noticed that on hotter days after the car sits for awhile (like while im at work) and i goto start it , it seems to crank over longer than usual almost like it doesnt want to start and it seems when its cooler out it fires right up. :?:

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
battery does the same thing in the hot and cold.

eg8hardcore

5+ Year Member
that is because you have an old civic. Engines run better in the cold. That's why you never see the show pinks take place in the afternoon, always at night when it's cooler. You may want to check the starter, but in my experience a starter is either good or bad, not really an in between. other than that, check your main relay, all your grounds, and make sure your battery is good.

Kelzy

5+ Year Member
OK the battery was replaced, i also did a tune up on it (plugs,wires,cap,rotor,oil and oil filter, all oem equipment). still the same thing, it jus cranks "faster" with the new battery in it, but still cranks longer than it should when its hot and humid out. Ive heard this could be a main relay problem ?

95c1v1c

5+ Year Member
OK the battery was replaced, i also did a tune up on it (plugs,wires,cap,rotor,oil and oil filter, all oem equipment). still the same thing, it jus cranks "faster" with the new battery in it, but still cranks longer than it should when its hot and humid out. Ive heard this could be a main relay problem ?
A main relay problem will do a similar thing, but check the condition of your hoses, namely the ones that carry the fuel fumes. there is a little black canister on the bottom over by the battery that has a hose running out of it to another little valve. I replaced that hose the other day and it took me about 20 seconds to start up.http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=1995&catcgry3=2DR+EX+ABS&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FUEL+PIPE+(2)&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=List All I think it was number 40 on the diagram

Bangin' HB

surfing member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
correct, the relays on the 92-95 suck. when it is hot, or if you start your car shortly after turning it off (like when you get gas) your relay just wont kick in. it is located just below the interior fuse panel. (google image search "civic main relay" you will get a lot of hits)

my solution that has been working for years, tap it! play it by ear, when you put the key to 'on' you should hear the relay clicks and the pump whir, it is all in sinc with the check engine light. if you dont hear the last click when the light goes off, then the relay is sleeping on you. when it happens to me, i turn the key off again, then back on as i lightly tap the relay and it should click, then i crank it over and tap the relay again to make sure its still on until the engine idles. nothing hard, soft taps is all it needs. it isnt very technical, but it is reliable.