Starting Issue (D15B)

xsaxisx

5+ Year Member
Hello everyone I've been looking through the site and it seems great and have been having an issue of my own and hopefully i can get it resolved.
I have a 1992 civic hatch 5 speed with the d15B 50k professionally installed and has been running fine no problems until a few days ago. When i turn the key all i hear is 1 click, all lights/chimes and everything work so its not an electrical issue... today i tried boosting it with my buddys van and all i got was the 1 click every time i turned the the key. so i popped the hood assuming it could be the starter but i wouldn't see why since i haven't had problems with it unless they just decide one day its the day to stop working.. i tried the old screw driver to starter it would spark and the fan would come on and id hear that "woosh" noise from up by the defrost like something is opening/engaging. the clicks increased rapidly "clickclickclickclickclick" but still wouldn't turn over. would gas be an issue its almost on E?

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFbJ6IAhkKg

Note: Push starting the car works first shot never has failed me.

Note: theres a little green corrosion on the wire that goes to positive on the starter retard didn't wrap it so that may be an issue?

Note: My battery is a little weak i think since the winter has came, the guy i bought the car off in early December told me he had it sitting a month prior to selling it, i have a new one on the way though so this could be my whole problem but wouldn't it still boost with cables? or not?, terminals are new and grounds are fine.

Any idea whats wrong with my car please and thank you?

K.O.S_88

K.O.S
5+ Year Member
u have a multimeter check it should read like 12.65 volts that a good battery sounds like maybe battery terminal is loose or battery is no good take it to shucks or les schwab i know for sure shucks does it for free test

95civicvx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds like a problem i had a few days ago when it was like 16 deg outside. I went to start my car and i hear is click of the relay. I know the starter was getting power and my battery has juice. So i tried a few more times and it finally started. I don't know what was wrong with it, but i suspect my starter is going bad.

DaveT

V.P Dave
5+ Year Member
ADD A GROUND WIRE IN THE ENGINE BAY MAN!!!!! or maybe loose battery.

xsaxisx

5+ Year Member
Lol man, my engine was installed professionally, all the grounds are there, i just got a new battery today tried starting it got the same click every time, tried another push start she bogged a little then fired right up, so what do you think it could be, I'm positive the clicking is coming from near the starter, so it could be that or the starter solenoid I'm guessing?

jdm jim

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that sounds like the starter not getting proper volatage. i bet u have a bad connection at the starter solnoid, hence why it wont jump, take your dvm and measure the voltage at the starter. that corrosion probally went all the way down to the connection.

xsaxisx

5+ Year Member
what starters are compatible with this engine? i can score one from a buddys 1.5 stock, would it fit??