Starting issues

AnimeKid

Lately ive been having really bad problems getting my car to start. The problem i was having before, was if i was sitting on a hill my car wouldn't crank, and now its having problems cranking on a flat surface as well. Im pretty sure my fuel filter needs to be replaced so i went ahead and bought one, but im wondering if i should replace my spark plugs as well. Im not really sure how old they are and the guy I bought it from says he cant remember when he last replaced them. If yall would just gimme some feedback on it because it is really starting to get annoying.

RonJ

Banned
Don't make details about your car a mystery.

The term "won't crank" is generally used to mean that the starter will not turn the engine. Do you actually mean that the engine cranks but won't start? If so, do you have any CEL codes? When were the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor last replaced?

AnimeKid

Ok sorry let me rephrase that. It will start to crank and then just go capute. Itll make a sound like its getting fuel but just not igniting in the chambers. There is no check engine light or anything like that. The caps and wires were replaced just a couple of months ago, not sure about the spark plugs though.

AnimeKid

No the battery is fine on charge, brand new battery. Im really thinking the spark plugs arent sparking well enough. There are times when it cranks no problem and other times it just wont crank. Like i said i can hear the fuel pump working fine. When I turn the key it goes chinkchinkchink noise of the starter radio and lights come on

RonJ

Banned
Your description of the problem is pretty confusing, so I can really only guess that you have a cranking problem. If so, have the battery tested and clean the battery post/connectors and ground wire.

Consider posting a video.

AnimeKid

How was that confusing? I said battery is fine, and the starter is fine. The car not cranking has nothing to do with those to parts. Im getting fuel into the engine. I believe the spark plugs themselves are not firing correctly, thus making starting the car a problem. Is that simple enough.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
No need to start copping an attitude with Ron. He is one of the most technically savvy members we have on the site, and he is also the ONLY person who has tried to help you with this issue.

How do you KNOW that the starter and battery are fine? A new battery does not mean it's a good battery.

If you SERIOUSLY think that the spark plugs are bad, follow this link (which I pulled from Ron's signature) to test your spark plugs. Do this test, and let us know what the results are.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?p=3088750#post3088750

RonJ

Banned
How was that confusing? I said battery is fine, and the starter is fine. The car not cranking has nothing to do with those to parts. Im getting fuel into the engine. I believe the spark plugs themselves are not firing correctly, thus making starting the car a problem. Is that simple enough.
Anyone with experience solving car tech problems is generally most interested in knowing exactly what the problem symptoms are. That's what's still confusing about your information. We learn that just because someone says the battery and starter are fine, it means almost nothing because a moment later we may find that these statements were only assumptions rather than facts. Finally, an engine that can't crank won't start, right?

AnimeKid

That is correct. Ive already had the starter and battery tested and they are fine. I bought new spark plugs yesterday and that did not solve the issue. A guy who lives down the road from me, who works at the Honda dealership, told me it could be that my intake could be sucking in way to much air, or the choke might be getting stuck open. So now Im back to square one and absolutely stumped again.

RonJ

Banned
You're not getting it. You need to describe in detail what exactly the problem is or problems are. That's what is unclear. You just tell us what you've randomly replaced so far and then do more guessing about what part may be broken. Give us clear information about the problem. Otherwise you'll be stumped for a long time to come.

AnimeKid

I stick key in ignition and turn it. The fuel pump whirs and comes on. I turn the key it will crank fully and then go glug glug and stall out. What is causing that.

RonJ

Banned
This^ is a much clearer desription of the problem.

What car are we talking about? Is it stock or are there mods? Go here and fill out the information about your car.

When you turn the key from off to ON(II), does the CEL turn on and then off after 2 seconds? Or does it remain on steady?

AnimeKid

When I turn the key on the CEL goes off after 2 seconds. The only mods are the exhaust and the short ram intake.

RonJ

Banned
Again, what car and engine? You need to go to the Vehicle/Garage link and input your car information.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
A guy who lives down the road from me, who works at the Honda dealership, told me it could be that my intake could be sucking in way to much air, or the choke might be getting stuck open.
I'm going to suggest that you don't take anymore information from him, and definitely don't let him work on your car.

AnimeKid

Its a 93 Civic EX D16Z6 motor. The only mods are an exhaust and a short ram intake. I replaced the fuel filter yesterday and it seemed to help some, but today when i cranked it to leave work it acted like it wanted to do the same thing again but still started with the first crank.

AnimeKid

The car is a 93 Civic EX D16z6 motor. The only mods are an exhaust and a short ram intake. I changed the fuel filter yesterday and it seemed to help, but i started the car today at work and it acted like it wanted to do what its been doing. It did start though the first time.