Starting problems with MSD

yangr

Took my car out today and she drove just fine..left her outside for about 3 hours and tried starting her up so I can park her in the garage..next thing you know the car is just cranking but wont start..it sounds like it's choking so I give no throttle..nothing so this time I tried flooding the engine but nothing..tried hitting the starter and jumping the car but it's still just cranking..so I decided to hit the distributors metal part a couple times and got her to start..I have the MSD 6A, the spark plug wires, distributor, NGK spark plugs and MSD blaster coil..I have no idea why the car wouldn't start..so any help on if I should or shouldn't switch back to just the oem distributor would help..spent about 300 bucks for the set up..would be a waste if I didn't really need it

RonJ

Banned
Start by returning the ignition system to stock. Those MSD components tend to cause nothing but trouble.

In the meantime, listen for whether the fuel pump primes and test whether there is bright white spark at the plugs.

yangr

The fuel pump is fine Andi just replaced the spark plugs about a year back..I'll just get rid of the system..hopefully I can still get some money back

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had the 6a a few years back and like ronj said it was nothimg but problems. if you really need a better ignition they make high output internal coils that work with your factory setup