starting problems!

bmac9269

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey guys, so iv been having some trouble lately here is the deal
so my car has had trouble starting if it sits around at all and i try and start it. like any more than 4 hours and it wont start, the battery tested with 12.6 volts and alternator has over 14v im thinking a starter, or there is a draw but i just wanted to see what you all thought
thanks!

Vitaliy93

hey guys, so iv been having some trouble lately here is the deal
so my car has had trouble starting if it sits around at all and i try and start it. like any more than 4 hours and it wont start, the battery tested with 12.6 volts and alternator has over 14v im thinking a starter, or there is a draw but i just wanted to see what you all thought
thanks!
Do you have a multi-meter? The first thing i would do is take the meter and check for amp draw with everything off. Should be 0. If there is a draw somewhere then you must trace it down or it will always kill your battery. Second, if there is no amp draw with everthing off, replace the battery. Volts dont mean jack. Amps is what starts your car.

When testing amp draw, you must connect the probes so the you have a complete circuit. ex. take the negative terminal wire off. connect one lead to the negative terminal wire. then connect the second lead to the negative battery post. Also make sure the meter is set to amps.

Well good luck.

bmac9269

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a DMM but it is kinda cheap it doesnt have a amp setting

Last edited: