steering problem

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok when i am driving down the road at pretty much any speed over 20 my steering wheel jars back and forth. i have upper ball joints to put on as soon as it gets warmer out. also i just replaced the outer tie rods.

so my question is: what would cause my steering wheel to jar back and forth? what should i replace to make this stop....

and its not out of allignment just shakes and is very annoying, stressing ANNOYING.....

RonJ

Banned
Shaking right to left or up and down?

Have you checked the rear engine mount? How bad are the ball joints? Have you inspected the axles?

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
shakes left and right

i dont think its an engine mount because the whole car doesn't shake its just the steering wheel.

my upper ball joints are bad bad what other ones should i replace though kinda open to ideas now i dont feel like beating around the bush trying to figure out something so im just asking on here... you know just getting frustrated...

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
stress just the steering wheel too beuause my girlfriend would sit in the passenger seat and she says nothing feels shakey just my hands lol

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
aight i have upper ones new to install and will install them as soon as i have a kinda warmer day at least 10 is not cutting it... haha

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could possibly be bad tires if the ball joints dont fix it

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Check in this order:

Unbalanced wheels > Tires could have shifted belts > Bad/Bent Rim > Bad ball joints or tie rod end.

But before you start, do you have aftermarket wheels on? Because they might need hub centering rings if you do have aftermarket wheels on.

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
could possibly be bad tires if the ball joints dont fix it
brand new tires

Check in this order:

Unbalanced wheels > Tires could have shifted belts > Bad/Bent Rim > Bad ball joints or tie rod end.

But before you start, do you have aftermarket wheels on? Because they might need hub centering rings if you do have aftermarket wheels on.
how do i check for unbalanced wheels since they are new? shifted belts? rim is not bent already replaced the outer tie rods, have upper ball joints to put in when gets warmer....

i have had these wheels for a while and they never needed rings

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If its immediately after you first start driving your tires could just be cold. I know it sounds stupid lol but it happens with my car, then the tires warm up and its smooooooth.

DOHCef

5+ Year Member
like when i hit a certain speed the wheel shaks, but if i go fast an stay on it its cool, but when i hit the brakes or start 2 slow it will shake

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
change the upper ball joints and outer tie rods

i replace both oh both sides of front and its only been a few days but it noticably has helped greatly!!!

tell me how it works if you can

just buy whole upper ball joint arm and you can get it off ebay if you want

clover ej6

i r mekanik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just because they are new doesn't mean they haven't been sitting on the shelves for a little while. They could have imperfections creating a vibration, but what do i know..

RonJ

Banned
If the shaking occurs while braking, then check whether the brake rotors are warped.

If the shaking occurs at constant freeway speeds, then have the wheel balance checked.

DOHCef

5+ Year Member
yea actually they wouldnt balance my tires at the tire shop cuz my rims or sumthin?

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all rims can be balanced.... no matter what... take them back.. give them s**t.