Steering rack swap questions

Addiction96

ive got a 99 dx coupe that came factory with power steering. can i remove that and use the manual rack from my 96 dx hatch? any help would be appreciated thanks

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im pretty sure the rack & pinions are interchangeable between '96s & '99s but I thought all '96-'00 Civic came with power steering. Whether or not they did or if a prior owner removed it, why not just remove the power steering pump on your '99 instead of swapping the racks if deleting power steering is your lone goal?

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ive got a 99 dx coupe that came factory with power steering. can i remove that and use the manual rack from my 96 dx hatch? any help would be appreciated thanks
Yes, they swap over with no modification.
, why not just remove the power steering pump on your '99 instead of swapping the racks if deleting power steering is your lone goal?
An unmodified power steering rack without the pump is much harder to turn than a manual rack, because the side to side movement is impeded by fluid or air pressure. The power steering fluid pressure all also takes up some of the slop that is present in aa power steering rack. The manual rack gearing is also different, for aa lighter turn.

DX and CX manual transmission hatches came with manual racks. Automatics got power steering.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
An unmodified power steering rack without the pump is much harder to turn than a manual rack, because the side to side movement is impeded by fluid or air pressure. The power steering fluid pressure all also takes up some of the slop that is present in aa power steering rack. The manual rack gearing is also different, for aa lighter turn.

DX and CX manual transmission hatches came with manual racks. Automatics got power steering.
Ah. I didnt know that. Thanks for the explanation.