steering wheel shakin...

mhi

I ♥ My Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hey!
i just came from the shop..and the mechanic told me its a typical prob for some rims installed more than the size of the stock tire size.
he said that if it were on the tie rod ends or ball joint..the shaking would occur at lower speed like 80-120km/h.
would you agree with this?
anyhow..il try to take her for an under chassis wash..maybe its the solution...

civiclxb16a

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that is true i had 18's on my old civic once and it use to shake on me i went down to 16s and it was much better then when i went to 15's i never had that problem. (yes i was rice before =))

HighLife

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Had the same shaking...at around 75-80mph. All my tires were high speed balanced and my alignment is pretty much perfect.

What causes this normally is warped rotors...does you car shake a bit when you brake? Then for sure its Rotors.

If not, then could be a number of things to check, lots of stuff posted here to look at. GL.

lllllyayolllll

5+ Year Member
mine does that but i think its cuz my cv axles and rack n pinion are screwed up

mhi

I ♥ My Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What causes this normally is warped rotors...does you car shake a bit when you brake? Then for sure its Rotors.
nope.. it doesn't shake when i use my brake...i wish this shakin wont affect other parts if the culprit is really the oversize rim...

HighLife

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have 16x7s on my car for the past 7 years and the only shaking ive had is from my warped rotors. I replaced them and my car runs as smooth as it did when i bought it new.

I know there are LOTs of people here with aftermarket rims and tires that have no problems.

I really think the only problem with getting bigger rims and tires, besides cost of course, is that your speedo is off due to the bigger size of the tire. Mine is off about 5mph.

mhi

I ♥ My Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
HighLife said:
I have 16x7s on my car for the past 7 years and the only shaking ive had is from my warped rotors. I replaced them and my car runs as smooth as it did when i bought it new.

I know there are LOTs of people here with aftermarket rims and tires that have no problems.

I really think the only problem with getting bigger rims and tires, besides cost of course, is that your speedo is off due to the bigger size of the tire. Mine is off about 5mph.
in this case...if rotors are wrapped..what are the chances of affecting other parts of the car?

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I used to have annoying steering wheel shake. I got new tires and it pretty much went away. (yes my previous tires were aligned, hub centered and correct pressure)

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
no yall are all wrong. its the gerbil, its probably got a broken leg or a spur in its foot... talking about warped brake disks, jeeeez!

HighLife

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mhi said:
in this case...if rotors are wrapped..what are the chances of affecting other parts of the car?
Depending on how bad....if its not to bad it really shouldnt hurt anything. I dunno really, maybe a bearing go bad?

Rotors are soo cheap, if you do them yourself. Might also be able to have your stock ones turned down to make them flat again. So far there is nothing really you can do to stop it from happening. At least, nothing i know of.

mhi

I ♥ My Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thanks for the replies...

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you do not drive the car often the tires can "bend" especially if their low on air, or if the tires are reused, But it could be a number of things, mine is tie rod ends, and brake rotors, but get your wheels checked for runout as well. Also if the tire shop you use, uses sticky weights, they will fly off, so you might have to get them rebalanced.

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
blackhbdx said:
rotors go fast in hondas ;X
Depends on how you drive mainly, I have driven on the same rotors for 4 years now and now their dead. I do alot of engine braking.

mhi

I ♥ My Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Trbolvrcrx said:
If you do not drive the car often the tires can "bend" especially if their low on air, or if the tires are reused, But it could be a number of things, mine is tie rod ends, and brake rotors, but get your wheels checked for runout as well. Also if the tire shop you use, uses sticky weights, they will fly off, so you might have to get them rebalanced.
i really have doubt with those sticky weights...i guess your right, maybe they flew off and i have to rebalance it again..

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mhi said:
i really have doubt with those sticky weights...i guess your right, maybe they flew off and i have to rebalance it again..
Check the inside of your wheels, I can almost garentee you that some if not all are missing. Not many tire techs clean the insides properly.

mhi

I ♥ My Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ill check it out..keep you posted...damn those tire techs...i should have clean it myself

Chaddcl0ps

5+ Year Member
My car shakes HORRIBLY...its not just the steering wheel...its like my whole car...I took it to a shop they said that its because my rims were bent(ie...hitting f-ing potholes in Florida) wheel shakes violently at about 65+ mph...so I gotta buy some new rims...Before I found out this info. I checked my engine mounts...got the car alligned. 4 new tires...still shook...dont believe it could be rotors for me tho...so Im getting new rims soon. hope it fixes my problem.

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Chaddcl0ps said:
My car shakes HORRIBLY...its not just the steering wheel...its like my whole car...I took it to a shop they said that its because my rims were bent(ie...hitting f-ing potholes in Florida) wheel shakes violently at about 65+ mph...so I gotta buy some new rims...Before I found out this info. I checked my engine mounts...got the car alligned. 4 new tires...still shook...dont believe it could be rotors for me tho...so Im getting new rims soon. hope it fixes my problem.

What size wheels?? Remeber the larger the wheel the harder it is to get it balanced properly.