Steering Wheel Vibration @ 65mph+, 2013 Civic

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To a degree, I understand, and agree with what you are saying.

But admittedly-- after my tires were switched out, the vibration that can be felt from the wheel being out is there, but after this whole fiasco, I am way more sensitive to any vibration at this point. I imagine most people wouldn't even notice it.

If you think about it logically-- we'll use a simple example-- my son's retractable Star Wars light saber. When pushed all the way in and and hit, the shorter rod absorbs much more shock. When pulled out-- shock would be felt more because there is a less substantial area to absorb it-- if that makes sense.

Truth is-- because the vibration is gone if the wheel is pushed in-- and I don't care about telescopic steering, it doesn't bother me-- at least now.

And it is an entry level car---
when my Subaru but the dust many years ago, my dad was kind enough to let me take his Toyota Avalon for a month until I found another car. That drove like a dream-- floating on a cloud. Then I bough a 98 Civic coupe. After a an entire month in the Avalon, then driving my Civic home from the dealer--- it was a go-kart-- but there was nothing wrong with the car. It drive as it should.

Being that my husband's Focus does the same thing-- and the 2014 Toyota Corolla vibrates constantly (I don't even know if it has telescopic steering)-- I'm not sure there's actually anything "wrong" with the 2013 Civic-- and feel like if there was going to be a recall (and the dealership checked again after I was there a couple weeks ago))-- there would have been one already.

You actually can't find many complaints when you search on the internet about this issue- I managed to come across ONE-- which is why I came here and started a discussion. I thought I was losing my mins LOL

Who knows.
I've played with those light saber thingies before.

Eh, some people notice things and don't make a big deal about it. You're not making a big deal but you sure are concerned, which means 1.) you care and 2.) seem like you pay close attention to the small detail.
Oh yeah, Toyota makes nice cars too.
Well, good luck with everything!

Andric

In my opinion, that Could make a recall. The vibration should not be present if the telescoping is out or in, period. Honda needs to design that better so that you don't feel vibration just because you adjusted the telescoping.
Hi again.....just because we were talking about this before--- so today I was in the car of my friend- 2014 Pathfinder. A high end car in comparison to our Ford and Honda-- and the Pathfinder of course has telescopic steering. Same thing. Same freakin thing. On a 50K vehicle.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just because the price tag is larger doesn't make it high end. The Pathfinder is no where near high end. They are middle of the line at best and are on the same market platform as both Honda and Ford. You can't compare an SUV to a tiny family car based off price. Not even the same league and it has nothing to do with the standards and quality.

Either way, at this point you are too sensitive and are going to feel it on almost anything probably.

Also, most of the time, it seems recalls now a days are usually done on something that is a safety hazard. This is not a safety hazard, nor is it large enough to even make a ripple. To actually move forward with a non-safety recall, they are going to need more than a few people on the net complaining about this. You are going to literally need tens of thousands of complaints depending on how many of these are/were sold.

At the very least, if anything at all I could see this becoming a possible campaign or a minor tsb with a fix. Not a recall though.

Last edited:

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi again.....just because we were talking about this before--- so today I was in the car of my friend- 2014 Pathfinder. A high end car in comparison to our Ford and Honda-- and the Pathfinder of course has telescopic steering. Same thing. Same freakin thing. On a 50K vehicle.

I think i want to experience this for myself. Unfortunately my 2011 doesn't have telescoping.
Some people Are more sensitive to vibrations then others, I wonder what i would think about this.

In my opinion, if we were to ask the engineers who developed these systems, they would tell us it normal - based on the design and engineering behind it. I jumped to conclusion saying, its bad design ( but who knows, maybe it is). This "vibration" is probably what's allowed. There is always tolerances in manufacturing design, and quality, that's what they are for, to either fail or pass something. For all i know this feedback is within allowable tolerance.

My older bother owns a new Pathfinder, i should ask him.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
My MKV GTI had one, never had anything like this. If it were my 2013 i'd be bringing this to the news or something.

Andric

Just because the price tag is larger doesn't make it high end. The Pathfinder is no where near high end. They are middle of the line at best and are on the same market platform as both Honda and Ford. You can't compare an SUV to a tiny family car based off price. Not even the same league and it has nothing to do with the standards and quality.

Either way, at this point you are too sensitive and are going to feel it on almost anything probably.

Also, most of the time, it seems recalls now a days are usually done on something that is a safety hazard. This is not a safety hazard, nor is it large enough to even make a ripple. To actually move forward with a non-safety recall, they are going to need more than a few people on the net complaining about this. You are going to literally need tens of thousands of complaints depending on how many of these are/were sold.

At the very least, if anything at all I could see this becoming a possible campaign or a minor tsb with a fix. Not a recall though.
I agree with you-- I do not think this will be a recall.
I think I am being misunderstood at this point.

I was sensitive to a vibration in my steering wheel when I first posted this-- this was a semi-violent vibration that made my hands shake and rings move all over.
While the actual cause was never truly found-- switching out tires fixed the problem.

Now, there is just a "micro-vibration"-- my hands don't shake, I can just feel it-- because yep, I was definitely more sensitive to this while steering wheel things as a whole-- for THREE month before the tire swap.

I'm throwing Nissan up in the ranks-- and I know that price tag doesn't always mean better. Just saying, on three different makes, three different busy styles, telescopic steering "feels the same"-- we will leave it at that.

I think to have a better conversation about this, we'd all have to be in the same room feeling the wheels on the vehicles-- I see my "descriptive skills", or lack of, have failed me!! =)

I think i want to experience this for myself. Unfortunately my 2011 doesn't have telescoping.
Some people Are more sensitive to vibrations then others, I wonder what i would think about this.

In my opinion, if we were to ask the engineers who developed these systems, they would tell us it normal - based on the design and engineering behind it. I jumped to conclusion saying, its bad design ( but who knows, maybe it is). This "vibration" is probably what's allowed. There is always tolerances in manufacturing design, and quality, that's what they are for, to either fail or pass something. For all i know this feedback is within allowable tolerance.

My older bother owns a new Pathfinder, i should ask him.

You are right-- here's what I wonder (but will never find out)-- if the tires hadn't been creating such an issue with my steering wheel-- would I have considered this "feel" from the telescopic steering wheel an "issue"-- or would I have considered it normal? My guess is-- I would have considered it normal. Unfortunately, after dealing with an issue for 3 months-- you start paying too much attention to something- I admit.

I know that my husband doesn't think there's anything wrong with his car-- and I don't know if that's because he's been on this journey with me and the Honda, or because he drove a Corolla and it was a crazy uncomfortable ride LOL

And I also know that my Pathfinder owning friend certainly doesn't think there's anything wrong with her car, although she's a leaser and tends to not give a crap about much. I didn't tell her about the steering wheel issue I was having, I just felt her steering wheel going at highway speeds. She eyed me funny and wondered what I was doing, but I didn't say peep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey, I have a 2012 as a loaner right now. Drop off my car for service this morning.
I adjusted the telescoping all the way out(towards me) and got up to 65mph +
I Did feel some feed back thru. the steering whee. It's like you can feel the road more, Kinda.
There is a vibration present for sure . If i owned a 2012 I would not want this vibration to be present, but
it seems that it's normal that you can feel this. I wonder if it has Or Will have any effects on the rest
of the steering system and components.

It reminds me a bit of my 98', which didn't have P.S But with 98 even at high speed, on a perfect paved road, there really wasn't any vibration. Only time i would feel feedback would be on bad roads.

You are right-- here's what I wonder (but will never find out)-- if the tires hadn't been creating such an issue with my steering wheel-- would I have considered this "feel" from the telescopic steering wheel an "issue"-- or would I have considered it normal? My guess is-- I would have considered it normal. Unfortunately, after dealing with an issue for 3 months-- you start paying too much attention to something- I admit.

I know that my husband doesn't think there's anything wrong with his car-- and I don't know if that's because he's been on this journey with me and the Honda, or because he drove a Corolla and it was a crazy uncomfortable ride LOL

And I also know that my Pathfinder owning friend certainly doesn't think there's anything wrong with her car, although she's a leaser and tends to not give a crap about much. I didn't tell her about the steering wheel issue I was having, I just felt her steering wheel going at highway speeds. She eyed me funny and wondered what I was doing, but I didn't say peep.

Yes, I think we would have to consider this normal. But, If Honda knows that customers are concerned about this, they have the ability improve or eliminate this "issue" on their future cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andric

Hey, I have a 2012 as a loaner right now. Drop off my car for service this morning.
I adjusted the telescoping all the way out(towards me) and got up to 65mph +
I Did feel some feed back thru. the steering whee. It's like you can feel the road more, Kinda.
There is a vibration present for sure . If i owned a 2012 I would not want this vibration to be present, but
it seems that it's normal that you can feel this. I wonder if it has Or Will have any effects on the rest
of the steering system and components.

It reminds me a bit of my 98', which didn't have P.S But with 98 even at high speed, on a perfect paved road, there really wasn't any vibration. Only time i would feel feedback would be on bad roads.

Yes, I think we would have to consider this normal. But, If Honda knows that customers are concerned about this, they have the ability improve or eliminate this "issue" on their future cars.

I, too, owned a 98-- zero feedback, except on a bad road-- which pretty much any vehicle will have.

I have some NEW "information" about this. So after dealership switched out my tires, things were pretty damn smooth-- except when that telescopic wheeling was out-- which, let's be honest-- it's there, but it's slight.

About 2 weeks after the dealership switched out my tires, they felt like they needed a little balancing. Not so strange-- as our roads are just wrecked up here. There are 2 seasons in this state: winter, and construction season (aka pothole season)-- I try so hard to be careful, and I am pretty good at it.
Anyway-- take my car to the dealership and have tires balanced for free. Don't drive it at high speeds for a few days- and next time I do, there's a slight vibration at about 68 mph, but I can drive through it. I let it be-- these tires have taken up enough of my time.
But then this past Monday rolls around. I'm on the freeway, in the rain, and hit a "pothole" with my front driver side tire. It was minimal- it wasn't a true pot hole-- it was a large area of the road where the newer pavement have worn down in a large area-- so it was sort of a bump. Only the driver side tire hit this.
Immediately, there is a a crappy vibration. I was a half hour away from home, but conveniently, there was a Discount Tire right next to where I was. Dropped it off there and went about my business. Picked it up about an hour later- they tell me I have a slight bend in the wheel. Car drove exactly the same on the way home as it did after I hit the little thing.
Make appointment at dealership to get new wheel. They tell me I don't have a bent rim. Tire probably got weight knocked off. They balanced the front tires and sent me on my way.
90% better than before, but still no perfect. Dealership stated " after inspecting tires, they seem fine- there is no noticeable or detectable damage. Small possibility you split the steel inside- we can't tell."

Called Discount Tire-- as they have seemed more interested in getting to the bottom of tire-related issues. Asked if there was anyway to tell if inside of tires was messed up. No, but stop in. They road matched. .008 accuracy. Passenger front tire was off balanced by an ounce. They balanced and I left.
Drove home, which doesn't require freeway speeds.

Today- jump on freeway. Same damn thing. Take to Discount Tire in neighboring city, since that's where I was. I explain this whole thing to the kid--- who took the front wheels off and really, really carefully checked them out.
End result: he brought me in the back and showed me 2 things--
1) on the passenger front tire, there is a slight wobble. No obvious reason why, he says-- everything else about the tire checks out. But wobble is there, and he shows me carefully.
2) Driver side WHEEL was ever-so-slightly bent- but at at the rim-- but at the center part of the wheel. Don't know the technical name for it, but the part you slide into the car. Again- he shows me this, and how it slightly makes the tire wobble.

I will take the blame for the bent wheel-- apparently what I hit did enough damage. The passenger tire though? There's no logical explanation. Because of this whole issue-- you can bet I'd remember hitting something-- even if it was SLIGHT. It's like the Firestone Affinity S4 tires are just THAT low grade. I have never had such shitty tires!!

I am replacing the wheel, and buying Michelin's.
This is all tire related. I can't stand having SUCH a shitty ride. There hasn't been more than 2 weeks since I bought the car where I haven't been to a tire shop/dealer.

The guy at the dealer said although we never got to the actual root of the problem with my old tires, he feels it could be likely I had invisible out of round spots on those tires-- car was on lot for a couple months in extreme temps (we had a really bad winter!) and that can happen. And that's what it was driving like. Unfortunately, detecting OOR tires isn't the easiest-- it can be done but you have to want to do it. So they never did,

I hate these tires and would rather pay for new ones than deal with these!!

Northwoodshyun

That is too bad about the vibration issue. I wonder if EPS makes the problem worse when the steering wheel is scoped out. 35E near my house has 70mph speed limit and I feel no vibration at 75-80 mpp and the ride is very smooth. Granted I will not by Conti tires if I had a choice. I would recommend 205-60-16 Michelin Primier or Primacy (it will be about 3% off) but will give you better protection against pot holes and side wall damage.

Andric

That is too bad about the vibration issue. I wonder if EPS makes the problem worse when the steering wheel is scoped out. 35E near my house has 70mph speed limit and I feel no vibration at 75-80 mpp and the ride is very smooth. Granted I will not by Conti tires if I had a choice. I would recommend 205-60-16 Michelin Primier or Primacy (it will be about 3% off) but will give you better protection against pot holes and side wall damage.

So your car has continentals? I have Firestone's--- but after making the final decision to buy new tires and researching a little further, it turns out I am not the only person having such problems with these Affinity tires by Firestone-- other people have the vibrations-- and I am honestly beginning to believe that it's JUST the tires at this point and not as much the telescopic wheel!!

I am getting Michelin Defender's. I was toying between Primacy's and Defender's-- and think I am decided on Defender's-- and am getting a good deal on them!

Also-- we are neighbors!

Northwoodshyun

Fireston Affinity tires were really bad. I had them on my 2013 Honda Accord and barely got 25k miles on them. I got rid of them then gotten Michelin Primacy. What a difference! The Defenders are very good and that model would be my choice if I did not run separate winter tires. I run Michelin X Ice xi3 winter tires and they are great. What size Defender did you get?

Andric

Fireston Affinity tires were really bad. I had them on my 2013 Honda Accord and barely got 25k miles on them. I got rid of them then gotten Michelin Primacy. What a difference! The Defenders are very good and that model would be my choice if I did not run separate winter tires. I run Michelin X Ice xi3 winter tires and they are great. What size Defender did you get?

The Defenders don't go on the car until Tuesday or Wednesday of this week- I'm slated to get 195 65R15....I don't want to purchase new wheels, so I am assuming that's the size I have to go with. I'm not the happiest camper that I have 3700 miles on my car and am buying tires-- but after having problem after problem and not even enjoying driving my car because of the tires-- I decided to just do it.

My husband just traded in his truck for a Ford Focus Hatchback-- we miss the truck, but actually have fun driving his car because it's a manual. It came with great tires!! They are Cooper CS3's and they handle great!!

Northwoodshyun

I would buy 215-60-15. The difference is less than 1%

The Michelin Defender comes in that size. This will give you a much better ride and better grip. I would not waste money on 195-65-15.

Andric

I would buy 215-60-15. The difference is less than 1%

The Michelin Defender comes in that size. This will give you a much better ride and better grip. I would not waste money on 195-65-15.
OK-- I sincerely appreciate the advice. But does that mean I have to buy new wheels? They are 15". That's the part I don't understand.....
I want a better ride- there's no question about that. But I feel like spending $1k is just a lot on a brand new car when-- while I want a good ride and take good care of my car-- I'm not a "car" person, if that makes sense.

I'd definitely have to put another $400+, in addition to spending more on the the larger tires, I think-?
EDIT: nevermind, I see what you're saying-- they are wider, correct?-- the 15 is the same. But either way-- do I need new wheels LOL?

Northwoodshyun

OK-- I sincerely appreciate the advice. But does that mean I have to buy new wheels? They are 15". That's the part I don't understand.....
I want a better ride- there's no question about that. But I feel like spending $1k is just a lot on a brand new car when-- while I want a good ride and take good care of my car-- I'm not a "car" person, if that makes sense.

I'd definitely have to put another $400+, in addition to spending more on the the larger tires, I think-?
EDIT: nevermind, I see what you're saying-- they are wider, correct?-- the 15 is the same. But either way-- do I need new wheels LOL?
You will NOT need a new set of rims and your current existing rims will work just fine. The tires are around $100 a piece and Discount Tires will match TireRack price. They do very nice work. Since your TPMS sensors are brand new, make sure they don't touch or charge extra for the service you don't need. Maplewood Discount Tires is a very good store.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
\

My husband just traded in his truck for a Ford Focus Hatchback-- we miss the truck, but actually have fun driving his car because it's a manual. It came with great tires!! They are Cooper CS3's and they handle great!!
Nice! I like those cars When you buy new ST, Ford gives you a free day of course training. Look into that.

Andric

You will NOT need a new set of rims and your current existing rims will work just fine. The tires are around $100 a piece and Discount Tires will match TireRack price. They do very nice work. Since your TPMS sensors are brand new, make sure they don't touch or charge extra for the service you don't need. Maplewood Discount Tires is a very good store.
That's what I gathered after comparing tires/specs-- but I wasn't sure. Thank you for confirming that.
I'm thankful that-- I have already price matched the 195's from Tire Rack to Discount-- and they were kind enough to knock off a small amount before that (plus Tire Rack has $70 rebate on 4 Michelin's right now)-- they are also refunding me an old warranty I have with them!

So with a new wheel (I have to replace one), 4 new Defenders and mount/balance and taxes and road hazard, I am at $530. This will change if I get the size you mentioned-- which I am, but only by $7 total with a price match from Tire Rack.

I will look at Maplewood for future Discount Tire jaunts.....have already gone though Eagan in this one-- they were the guys who got the bottom of my stupid tires and showed me what's up!

Thank you for suggesting the new size...I sincerely appreciate that!

Civic 2014 ex

2014 civiic ex vibration at 65+

I have had a vibration at over 65. I put on my snow tires an rims and it went away. The car has done it since new and now has 2k on it. I brought it to the dealer and they state one of the tires is bad. I am waiting for the tire to come in and I will repost.