steering wheels shakes

khoakers

Ugly Asian Bastard
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just got new 17's on and i immediately took it to get balanced, but everytime i go over 60mph the steering wheels shakes like a motherfucker. so i took it to get balanced again, but it didnt fix anything. anyone have ideas to what the problem might be?

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
were the rims used or new?

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you need an alignment. most common thing when going to a much larger/smaller rim.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah are the rims new or used? could have a bent rim...

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How did they balance them? Did they put weights on the inside and the outside or just the inside. If they are only on the inside have them redo it with normal weights on the inside and sticky weights on the outside.

khoakers

Ugly Asian Bastard
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
used rims, and they put weights on the inside because there's no lip on the outside.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my wheel shakes around 120...

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
used rims, and they put weights on the inside because there's no lip on the outside.
chances are you just need an alignment, also have your shop check to see if any of the front rims are bent...if they are get them off ASAP.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
really? i guess that's why when i got an alignment, the shaking went away!
Can you describe one part of the suspension that changes because of new rims?

Unless you're running some radically different setup that includes tires WAY out of spec, the suspension geometry doesn't change at all with new rims, which means the alignment didn't change.

If an alignment fixed your shaking, there was something wrong - as in something was loose. When I dropped my car 2.5" I went a week without an alignment - no shaking. The car was WAY out of specs and no shaking, just funky tire wear.

Poor alignments don't cause shaking, they cause odd handling and strange tire wear. If the car is pulling to one side, that's faulty alignment; if the tires are getting f**ked up, that's faulty alignment.

As for the thread starter: Did you check if the rims were straight before mounting them on the car? They may have a bend that is causing the shaking.

Also, did you get them balanced at the same place both times? If the answer is yes then take them somewhere else to get balanced.

Quick test, switch the fronts to the rear and see if it changes things. Also, were the tires used? What size are the tires?

khoakers

Ugly Asian Bastard
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, the rims i had before were only 15's, and i bumped up to 17's. i'm not sure if that makes sense out of my case or anything..

the tires are used. 215/40/17.

no i didn't check if the rims were straight.

nyghtryder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
with a 215/40/17 there is no difference between those and your stock rims. As for balancing they can use the clamp on weights on the inside of your rim. These are better than the stick on ones. Ultimately it sounds like a bent rim. To find which one is bent go to a different shop and ask them to remove all weights before starting and then ask which rim was royally screwed up. Thats your bent rim. If they are all about the same then none should be bent. I could also be the tires causing more vibrations since they are a lower profile, plus if the tires are used too one of them could have seperated which causes alot of vibration. Have you hit any large pot holes lately, wheel bearing could be bad? Railroad tracks eat wheel bearings in my neighborhood.

khoakers

Ugly Asian Bastard
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no havent hit any pot holes or anything. honestly its probably a bent rim. ima get it checked out tomorrow.

JENUYIN

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've had his issue a couple times before. It sounds like you need ub Centric rings. I bought new rims (years ago) and when i got to around 60-65 the wheel woud shake and make me feel like the tires were gonna fall off. when i got to about 75-80 it woul stop and smooth out. This is why- aftermarket rims are not made to be car specific therefore all rims usually have a gap to compinsate for the the diffierent size of HUBS on a vehicle. Yu can pick them up from like discount tire or Tire kingdom for about 20 bucks a set They are pretty cheap but definetly needed. the linky below will set you straight. If your steering wheel is still shaking after that, your rims could be warped. I haven't been on this site in about 2 yars but i hope this helps.

http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat=hubcentric&sub=how&track=GHR

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Usually if the rims are bent, the shop balancing them should know and will tell you that they're bent. All you need is an alignment dude.

*Post pics too!