Stick Shift Noobie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzyzxek

5+ Year Member
wow who drives in 5th gear at 20mph? if your driving 20mpr in front of me iam flipping you off.

janedoe

Live Free!
5+ Year Member
I was sondering what an Em1 is?

jon31562

mmmm..turbo?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wtf are you even doing with a manual? if you cant drive it learn in the driveway or something... i shift my dx at about 4 grand every time and get 36mpg... you cant hurt the mileage... just drive the car right... feel it... just like f***in... it takes some practice to get good at it

Black Magic

I'm Rick James, b***h
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont worry dude, you'll get better at driving stick. look at your car manual and it'll have a chart telling you what speed to drive in each gear to maintain fuel economy.

... but yeah, definitely don't drive in 5th gear when ur only doing 20mph. It puts a lot of stress on your motor and tranny. I bet you can feel a lot of vibration too, can't you? Thats your hint that it aint good. And when you're driving up a hill in 5th gear at 20mph, your car is probably slowing down even though your giving it gas. That should also be a sign.

Sounds like you've just started driving stick. usually takes a few days or weeks to get it down pat. we've all been there. practise makes perfect.

andychau

5+ Year Member
dont worry dude, you'll get better at driving stick. look at your car manual and it'll have a chart telling you what speed to drive in each gear to maintain fuel economy.

... but yeah, definitely don't drive in 5th gear when ur only doing 20mph. It puts a lot of stress on your motor and tranny. I bet you can feel a lot of vibration too, can't you? Thats your hint that it aint good. And when you're driving up a hill in 5th gear at 20mph, your car is probably slowing down even though your giving it gas. That should also be a sign.

Sounds like you've just started driving stick. usually takes a few days or weeks to get it down pat. we've all been there. practise makes perfect.
Thanks, and everyone else who helped me out.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i swear...the 08's were bad...the 09's are AWFUL....and im not talking about the OP...im talking about the smartasses on here who are knockin a kid for learning stick...a mod needs to come in here and clean this up cuz some of you guys need to learn respect.

civfrk102

Top Speed 138 MPH for now
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thank you and the guy above you for the help, and as for cruising at 20 in 5th, I was always under the impression that u have to go through all the gears no matter what. But obviously drop gears when you want to pick up speed, is this right?
no you don't have to cruise in 5th all the time... you don't need to go to 5th unless ur over like 40mph or so...

ej_EXtasy

Big Dave
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i swear...the 08's were bad...the 09's are AWFUL....and im not talking about the OP...im talking about the smartasses on here who are knockin a kid for learning stick...a mod needs to come in here and clean this up cuz some of you guys need to learn respect.
I mean he's not really a kid, it says he's 19. He said he could drive stick then he asked if doing 20mph in 5th gear is bad. People told him it was and the correct thing to do.

JDMchula

c0up3 stAY Fr3SH
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my car isn't stick and i new thats bad thing you are doing there. haven't u played racing video game 5th gear going 20 u not headed no were lol. that bit about saving gas its a honda how much more u wanna save. lol

GL hopefully u will get better with the info some ppl told u

andychau

5+ Year Member
good looks for having my back

janedoe

Live Free!
5+ Year Member
no you don't have to cruise in 5th all the time... you don't need to go to 5th unless ur over like 40mph or so...
So if Im understanding correctly, I can cruise in any gear, and I dont need to shift through all of them?

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
flooring the accelerator at that speed in 4/5th will flood the engine and fuel won't burn so you're gaining nothing and losing everything. you're much better off reving than having the floor the gas at any point. however, if the engine isn't laboring then you can cruise consistantly in any gear

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn this thread doesnt want to die, its really holding on, lol
Whats it been 2 weeks now?

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Honestly i think it was more of people making fun or you then liking you, lol, but hey thats just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.