sticky accelerator

SexualChocolate

Stan Smith
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My EM1 seesm to have a pretty sticky accelerator. I either need to accelerate very slow, or if I push a little bit, nothing happens, then if I push a little harder I excellerate pretty quickly.

Is this a pretty common issue with 6th gens? And is there an easy way to fix it?

dj_audio

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you tamper with your throttle body or throttle cable in any way?

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
TPS sensor... have it looked at.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
does it happen in every gear?

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do you have some kind of multimeter? a tps sweep would be very simple

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
is it the pedal thats sticking? or is it the throttle butterfly? the pedal on my em1 sticks but i solved that with some wd40

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Our '99 EX sedan also

Shiznit said:
is it the pedal thats sticking? or is it the throttle butterfly? the pedal on my em1 sticks but i solved that with some wd40
I tried some White litiam grease at the TB and ALSO on where the cable inside the cabin attaches to teh gas petal. Hope it helps if not I am going to lube the butterfly inside the TB with Deepcreep (Seafoam spray) Could also be carbon build-up in there making it stick!:???:

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It was the cable mounts!!

shortlid said:
I tried some White litiam grease at the TB and ALSO on where the cable inside the cabin attaches to teh gas petal. Hope it helps if not I am going to lube the butterfly inside the TB with Deepcreep (Seafoam spray) Could also be carbon build-up in there making it stick!:???:
Well after lubeing the TB and the both end of the cable, i was about ready to replace the cable thinking it failed inside. When I went to pull it out of it's mount and routing I found the monts near teh firewall were REAL hard to get it out of. When I did get it out the cable was pinched. I took it for a drive with the cable out of the mounts on the fire wall the it works great. What a bad design!!:x