sticky shifting??? dont know why

greddy2244

5+ Year Member
hey i just switched my shift nob on my 96 civic but i know that has nothing 2 do why my shifting is not smooth, but for some reason my gears shift so bumpy like when im driving in the gears they are fine but when i go from like first 2 second or second to third or any shifting really its really rough and i have to really like man handle it and i dont think its supposed to be that hard. any thoughts help thanks

luv4honda

gettin her ready
5+ Year Member
could be bad synchronizers or a worn clutch. When at idle, push the clutch down for 9 secs and put it in reverse and if its difficult (grinding noises) your clutch isnt disengaging all the way.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
but i just put in a brand new clutch kit a month ago
Why didn't you mention that, instead of the shift knob?

What clutch kit did you put in your car? Are you sure it's installed correctly? When did your shifting issues start?

greddy2244

5+ Year Member
i put the clutch in my car in november and its a good oem clutch and i did it with my friend who has been a mechanic at acura for 15 years so i know thats done right but the problem has really just started about 2 days agao idk why

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
something wrong with the transmission or transmission shifter linkage.

diagnose both of those

Ninjeff

The brake is on the right
5+ Year Member
And get some Energy Suspension shift bushings. $20 makes a world of difference.

Ninjeff

The brake is on the right
5+ Year Member
While this may be the problem, the OP should eliminate the simplest options first (fluid).
Yes. Very true. Plus, its easier to check/ rectify.

I guess I'm just so jazzed over the change these bushings made i feel like i have to tell the world! :lol: