Stock internals..

itsjdmyo

Whats up guys, I have a b16a in my ek hatch, im wondering how much boost is safe on stock internals? What about with just head studs?

civic0918

Registered VIP
no more than 9 psi. you need head studs apr i think is the name.

itsjdmyo

yeah i know headstuds are good, i had a buddy go up to 14 with a stock single cam with only headstuds, i was just curious, thanks.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It's not the psi that matters, its the size of the turbo, condition of the motor, and your horsepower goal.
To be honest I think you can "SAFELY" do about 200-250whp, on a stock motor. With headstuds and a new headgasket that is...

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's not the psi that matters, its the size of the turbo, condition of the motor, and your horsepower goal.
To be honest I think you can "SAFELY" do about 200-250whp, on a stock motor. With headstuds and a new headgasket that is...
:word: and to really be honest, how good the tune is.... thats the biggest part of your motor holding up to boost.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just so we are clear, youre talking about a jdm b16a right? not the usdm b16a2. there is a difference in compression ratios between the two motors.

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
no more than 9 psi. you need head studs apr i think is the name.
This is terrible advice.

Different size turbos will generate a different amout of CFM at 9 psi.

Depending in the size of the turbo you are running and accuracy of your tuning will determine the breaking point of stock components.

A good example was from an article in Turbo Magazine a couple of years ago. I dont remember they exact turbo they were using (trim, etc) but they were using FAST tuning software and running 113 octane to eliminate detonation.

They achieved over 400hp around ~17psi. If I remember right they ended up breaking a ring land at about 17.7psi. I still have the magazine and will post the article if I find it.

So people stop saying OMG HONDA"S WILL EXPLODE IF YOU APPLY MORE THAN 9,10, 11, ETC PSI. :roll:

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
we tune stock b16's all the time and make 300 easy :what:

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
b series can handle around 300hp stock

d series can handle around 225hp stock

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:word: and to really be honest, how good the tune is.... thats the biggest part of your motor holding up to boost.
This is terrible advice.

Different size turbos will generate a different amout of CFM at 9 psi.

Depending in the size of the turbo you are running and accuracy of your tuning will determine the breaking point of stock components.

A good example was from an article in Turbo Magazine a couple of years ago. I dont remember they exact turbo they were using (trim, etc) but they were using FAST tuning software and running 113 octane to eliminate detonation.

They achieved over 400hp around ~17psi. If I remember right they ended up breaking a ring land at about 17.7psi. I still have the magazine and will post the article if I find it.

So people stop saying OMG HONDA"S WILL EXPLODE IF YOU APPLY MORE THAN 9,10, 11, ETC PSI. :roll:
these guys ^^^

a good tune is really what matters. general rule of thumb: when increasing boost, retard timing to prevent detonation

eg6white305

With arp headstuds and a good tune on neptune, hondata,etc. a stock internal b16a can make 300whp all day. Many people push 350+whp but if you wanna play it safe 300whp is good. A 300whp turbo honda is no joke!

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member

Doesnt really say much without the specs of the turbo. :???:
With arp headstuds and a good tune on neptune, hondata,etc. a stock internal b16a can make 300whp all day. Many people push 350+whp but if you wanna play it safe 300whp is good. A 300whp turbo honda is no joke!
Of course its not, fast like a motherfucker. Spinnin em through 3rd ftw hah.