Stock sleeves

rcya2006

5+ Year Member
I finally got my Parts for my motor... I have a 97 jdm type r and im taking my 11:1 pistons out and replacing them with these CP 9:8:1 compression pistons with eagle rods, I also got ARP headstuds, new timing belt and head gasket my motor only has about 25,000 miles on it how much power can the stock sleeves handle???? A shop in Portland Oregon said I will be able to handle 350 whp daily no problem at all and I drive like a jackass I was just wondering if I wanted to bump up the power on the dyno how high should I go? safely...

Almighty-Si

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tons of cars making better than 500whp on stock sleeves. I wouldnt worry about them too much if you're not planning on going over that.

Winki

just an innerfooler ;)
5+ Year Member
dont push your daily too hard 350 for daily 400 for the dyno

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would bump down the cp to 9:1, it allows room for error (altitude change, tempature change, bad gas, ect...) But, 350 whp sounds right maybe but it's all in the tune.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i would say stock sleeves can handle around 450whp.....i plan on pushing my zc to 420whp on stock sleeves

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
honda tuning has a 507 hp stock sleeve b16 in their latest issue. its all in the tune

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dam you guys are runnin hardcore with stock sleeves..

but my vote would go for the 300-350whp range.. i wouldnt try to put out anymore power than that either since you drive like a jackass

Almighty-Si

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LoL 300-350??? I'm shooting for that on stock internals.

You can go more, a lot more. Just make sure you bring your car to a reputiable tuner.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would say stock sleeves can handle around 450whp.....i plan on pushing my zc to 420whp on stock sleeves
I'm planning on pushing a million bajillion.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
LoL 300-350??? I'm shooting for that on stock internals.

You can go more, a lot more. Just make sure you bring your car to a reputiable tuner.
i dont know, i guess im just too insecure about having stock sleeves... its just the thought of having CRACKED sleeves makes me scared :shock:

Almighty-Si

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont know, i guess im just too insecure about having stock sleeves... its just the thought of having CRACKED sleeves makes me scared :shock:
Nothing to feel insecure about, there are tons of dynos and tests run to take away any insecurity anyone should have.

As hardcore said, honda tuning magazine just ran a test where they only changed the pistons to lower compression forged counter parts in a worn block. They reassembled it with all the old parts (headgasket, head studs...etc) and hit it with boost. It made 507hp and never broke.

I also believe they did a test (not sure if it was honda tuning or another magazine) on a worn stock block B16 and the motor took well over 400hp (460 something hp I forget the exact number) before it broke the ringlands on the stock pistons.

Granted they used race gas on the 2nd setup but I think even on pump it would have went over 400hp. So 300whp or just over shouldn't really be an issue just have to be conservative with the timing and it should keep things happy.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so what do you guys think about stock sleeves on a SOHC, good for 400+whp ?

Almighty-Si

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would say upto 400whp after that I would be a little weary about them.

Full Race's pink hatch they used for pinks was a stock sleeve d series. I don't remeber the power they were putting down put it was running 30psi of boost.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would worry more about driving like a jackass with 350whp than your motor blowing up.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hmms.. i guess around 300whp on stock sleeves wouldnt hurt much.. theyre soo dam expensivee :shock: