Strange Noise after Short Shifter install

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I installed a dual Bend Skunk2 Short Shifter yesterday. It feels GREAT !!! I just need a new boot and shift knob now =) but there is a near WEIRD noise comming from the car after install it.
It sounds as if its gears rubbing its weird.
I heard that same noise before. When I had my normal shifter if i pushed it into any gear while it was in gear i would hear that same sound. I just tried it on my friends civic SAME noise. If its in gear its fine but if i push it in while driving i hear that sound.
I am getting it in EVERY gear with my new shifter.... What is going on?

Car is a Canadian 1999 Civic Si (American EX), 160,000km (100,000miles)

Pic of the baby I installed.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the bottom of the shifter might be rubbing against the heat shield on the cat. check to make sure there's not contact under there
this would be a great new shift knob and boot for ya! :thumbs up

its from the canadian SiR (usdm Si) http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=143346

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I like that boot =) I'll see if i can find a local one Since SIRs are local here =)

I checked its not rubbing

I did forget to mention one thing....
the bushing at the end of the rod was loose. I didnt have another bushing on hand so we just wraped ductape a few turns on it to make it thicker so it doesnt move and it was stiff again... could that be pushing the gears into each other and griding?

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its not hitting the exhaust. I tried also pushing it out of gear while driving didnt reduce the noise till it disengaged from the gear. Pushing the shifter in would make several louder hissing noises