strut preventing further lowering

mainecivic

I've just bought new shocks and struts and got some coil overs. The coil overs allow for more lowering but the rear strut is just about completely compressed. Is there anything I can do about this? Is this what extended top hats are for? And I'm looking at getting a mugen replica front lip, how much drop (appearance wise) does that add to the front bumper?

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What suspension do you have? Extended top hats are not made for all suspensions, and they allow for extended travel, not lowering.

mainecivic

What suspension do you have? Extended top hats are not made for all suspensions, and they allow for extended travel, not lowering.
I've got lotek shocks and ebay coilovers... went the cheapo way. could I adjust the spring perch then? some people say cut the bumpstop in half

Themegajosh09

I'm having this same problem so I'm riding lowering the from then the rear. I got the front lowered like 3 inches and the back more like 2.2inches

Themegajosh09

I get a bit of tire tuck in the front and in the back I'm sitting tired almost level with the fenders. I kinda like it actually. It helps with traction some because the car has more weight up front with it sitting like that.
hopefully the pic works out. Not the best pic but you can see how it sits

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I removed my bump stops entirely. Then again, I'm used to cars being on the ground for over 10 years, and the car doesn't see over 5 miles a day.

I HIGHLY advise you to leave the bump stops alone.

Themegajosh09

I removed my bump stops entirely. Then again, I'm used to cars being on the ground for over 10 years, and the car doesn't see over 5 miles a day.

I HIGHLY advise you to leave the bump stops alone.
I don't have my bump stops, but I still have the rubber bushings that goes into the top plate of the strut

mainecivic

I get a bit of tire tuck in the front and in the back I'm sitting tired almost level with the fenders. I kinda like it actually. It helps with traction some because the car has more weight up front with it sitting like that.
hopefully the pic works out. Not the best pic but you can see how it sits
Car looks good, pictures sometimes make it hard to tell the ride height but I think I would like to go lower than that. Yours sits about the same as mine I think

CO671

Registered VIP
You don't have much adaptability considering you have cheap low-rep brand products and you'll have to bear with what you're presented with. I might go cheap-ebay coilover route temporarily but..suspension is part of performance, it shouldn't be cheaped out.... Your car's not an article of clothing it's transportation that is unless it's only for show. I would suggest investing/saving up for a Koni/GC setup.

Themegajosh09

What can I do to make my civic slammed? With the front lip on I would like that to be less than 3 inches off the ground and I would like some tire tuck in the rear
I put a front lip on and the lip is about. 2 inches from the ground maybe 3. I done the home depot lip with garden surround. I'll post a pic if anyone wants. It looks amazing

mainecivic

You don't have much adaptability considering you have cheap low-rep brand products and you'll have to bear with what you're presented with. I might go cheap-ebay coilover route temporarily but..suspension is part of performance, it shouldn't be cheaped out.... Your car's not an article of clothing it's transportation that is unless it's only for show. I would suggest investing/saving up for a Koni/GC setup.
Ya I definitely understand that but I really find it hard to justify spending that much money on suspension when the motor only has 107 hp. I don't think I need to spend $500 on suspension until I do motor swap or build. It'll probably be just temporary but who knows, I'm still in college so funds are always tight

CO671

Registered VIP
Ya I definitely understand that but I really find it hard to justify spending that much money on suspension when the motor only has 107 hp. I don't think I need to spend $500 on suspension until I do motor swap or build. It'll probably be just temporary but who knows, I'm still in college so funds are always tight
Understandable, i'm on a high school budget. Just bought my lip and won't be lowering with Koni/GC for a while lol.

CO671

Registered VIP
What lip did you get? How much clearance does it take away?
Oh I just *ordered* it, it's still being shipped. A 99-00 Mugen lip as I have a 99 Sedan, different front end from yours though so don't mind me.

However I believe you have a 96-98 here are the best 2 choices imo.
The CTR may extend lower than the SiR style, it seems bulkier.
CTR 96-98

SiR 96-98

I think this thread may be relevant to you:
post pics of PFL 96-98 EK Front lips (all sorts)