stuck driveshaft- wrong driveshaft

cracerx

5+ Year Member
While dealing with SI's and HF's (and some stray Acura parts) on a CRX racecar... we misplaced and then replaced a passenger side driveshaft. One had too small a diameter to engage the wheel hub. So back to the parts store to get the right size diameter spline...

The inner end of the axle slid into the trans housing with no apparent trouble. But we come to find out that it has not engaged in the gears. NO grinding, NO chatter, no nothing. But worse, the axle will not come out of the housing. It's not stuck or jammed- it even jiggles back and forth from right to left, with an easy 3/4 of an inch distance separating the housing and the seal on the axle. SO it's not installed all the way INTO the housing, but it won't come out.

Someone said the c-clip near the end of the axle may have disengaged in some way to prevent removal.
WHAT to do?

First, how to dis-install the shaft?
Second, what axle are we using, and should we be using?
Yep, not much info to offer here- I'm just the grease monkey assistant!
Thanks- happy Easter.

cracerx

5+ Year Member
resolution

Putting the transmission into reverse allowed the axle to pop out immediately... :!:

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds like this has maybe a B-series swap or a ZC transmission - you need 90 and up Integra passenger side axle

raysteve

this is really a complicated repair that you've been thru. Just want to ask how were you able to resolve the Driveshaft issues?thanks mate!

civicspencer

Registered VIP
b18b1 swap 92 civic cv

i bought a 92 civic hatchback with a b18b1 swap in it, the right side cv axle boot was busted and no good anymore so i bought a 92 civic 1.6 cv and didnt work so i returned it and bought a 92 acura integra 1.8 cv axle which is currently in now but acts like its too long ive heard that this is the right axle im looking for but doesnt work right, so what cv do i really need, am i doing something wrong? any help would be great:oops: