stupid F&$CK#*G LAWS!!!!!! please help

hckyplya8

So i have a 96 with the D16Y8. On the car came different headers and then an Apexi exhaust (i believe), i know the muffler is Apexi for sure. It is just too loud for me and i have to put it neutral everytime i see a cop and pray that he doesnt pull me over for it being too loud! I am thinking about taking it to an exhaust shop and having a new exhaust bent up and keep the Apexi N1 muffler on because i like the look, an suggestions of what size pipe to get, resonators too, and maybe even get rid of the aftermarket headers? i want something that sounds decent but ultimately isnt super loud and doesnt get everyone in a 10 block radius' attention. thanks for the help

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yonaka cat-back from the Civic parts store on this site.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Stock exhaust.... you are only hurting the little performance you have.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Making the exhaust quiter won't always work. I got pulled over for my exhaust while sitting at a stop light. The cop just so happened to pull behind me and was ready to pull me over before I even moved. It was because I had a stupid big Magnaflow muffler on. I've since then had a Jones Full Boar muffler put on with a very simple 2.25" tip. The muffler sits up high behind the bumper, you can't see it. The tip looks stock and the muffler is super quite and low tone. I don't worry about getting pulled over anymore. Didn't hurt any performance and didn't cost an arm and a leg to get it welded on. I personally don't see what the fuss is about the Yonaka exhaust. It doesn't look very good, clearly aftermarket so you're still not flying under the radar, and the sound clips don't impress me. Just IMO.

Last edited:

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Making the exhaust quiter won't always work. I got pulled over for my exhaust while sitting at a stop light. The cop just so happened to pull behind me and was ready to pull me over before I even moved. It was because I had a stupid big Magnaflow muffler on. I've since then had a Jones Full Boar muffler put on with a very simple 2.25" tip. The muffler sits up high behind the bumper, you can't see it. The tip looks stock and the muffler is super quite and low tone. I don't worry about getting pulled over anymore. Didn't hurt any performance and didn't cost an arm and a leg to get it welded on. I personally don't see what the fuss is about the Yonaka exhaust. It doesn't look very good, clearly aftermarket so you're still not flying under the radar, and the sound clips don't impress me. Just IMO.

It keeps getting recommended because the tone is low. Being I've been driving for 17 years and never heard of someone getting pulled over "because their exhaust looked aftermarket" you can see where it is consistently recommended.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It keeps getting recommended because the tone is low. Being I've been driving for 17 years and never heard of someone getting pulled over "because their exhaust looked aftermarket" you can see where it is consistently recommended.
Well now you've heard of it happening... I was sitting in a 2 lane turn at a stop light. I was first car on the right lane, there were 2 other cars in the left lane next to me. I saw the police car come up and pull behind the other 2 cars in the left lane. Sat there for literally 30seconds. Then I see the cop pull out of that lane to get right behind me. The SECOND the light turned green, the lights went on and I pulled over. It was all because the cop obviously saw my aftermarket exhaust. The cop didn't even see my car prior, so I know the sound had nothing to do with it.

It is illegal to modify the exhaust in any way. The SOUND is not what deems an exhaust illegal. So if you really want to get away with an aftermarket exhaust, the best way is to either hide it somehow and/or make it look/sound as close to stock as possible. Otherwise, you will always run the risk of getting pulled over.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Well now you've heard of it happening... I was sitting in a 2 lane turn at a stop light. I was first car on the right lane, there were 2 other cars in the left lane next to me. I saw the police car come up and pull behind the other 2 cars in the left lane. Sat there for literally 30seconds. Then I see the cop pull out of that lane to get right behind me. The SECOND the light turned green, the lights went on and I pulled over. It was all because the cop obviously saw my aftermarket exhaust. The cop didn't even see my car prior, so I know the sound had nothing to do with it.

It is illegal to modify the exhaust in any way. The SOUND is not what deems an exhaust illegal. So if you really want to get away with an aftermarket exhaust, the best way is to either hide it somehow and/or make it look/sound as close to stock as possible. Otherwise, you will always run the risk of getting pulled over.
X2 the cop does not have to hear it. It is an emissions violation to mod your exhaust. Plain and simple get your exhaust then get something like an si tip or something.

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

You people live in some f**ked up places lol =)

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol actually I had that exhaust on for a good 5+ years with zero hassles until that day. It was just a wrong place, wrong time deal. The cop gave me a written warning. The cop asked if I knew modifying the exhaust was illegal and I said yes. Being honest was probably why I didn't get a ticket..

Trekk

Registered VIP
If it doesn't have any resonator on it right now adding one will greatly reduce the noise in most cases.