Sub Box Build Question

02civiLX21

I bought a civic with a nice Kenwood Head Unit and Amp with one Kicker L5 12 that looks like this

I currently own Two 12in. Kicker Comps that look like this

My Question is that is it a good idea to mix two different styled subs. I know depending on the box will determine alot but would it be smart to even build this? I was gonna take the cheap amp from my old subs and use that for the interior speakers and then the Kenwood Amp to power the Three Kickers

I drew a quick sketch for the box tell me what you all think and give some advice thanks!

imfromdade15

5+ Year Member
why not sale the comps and get another L5 thats good enough with a good 15000 0r 2000 watt amp it should kick hard.

02civiLX21

I didnt think of that. I just sorta like the idea of haven three subs in the trunk. but thanks ill keep that in mind

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no..that would end up sounding like complete s**t

sell the l5, and get a custom made box for your comps..they'll get louder and sound cleaner in the right box

02civiLX21

no..that would end up sounding like complete s**t

sell the l5, and get a custom made box for your comps..they'll get louder and sound cleaner in the right box
Really? Thanks man, Yea i like the comps they get pretty deep with the right amp. Tough decision b/c just the one L5 sounds pretty good in the car alone already..

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Like i tell everyone who is interested in audio, when it comes to car audio..it's all about the install

doors need to be deadened for the speakers, subs need to be put in the right box, gains need to be set right on the amps to avoid clipping, etc etc

You could have the greatest stuff on the market, but if it's installed wrong..it'll sound like complete s**t..on the other hand, you can take some entry level products and make them sound amazing in the right install.

Kicker subs aren't really known for sounding "clean"

They can sound good for what they are, but it'll take a hell of a box..

the l5's in the right box will sound good BUT the box would be huge(5-6 cubes)

in your situation, get a custom box for the comps. if u wanna go that direction, let me know and i'll tell ya where to go

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah he is right. i would say on average from what i see. one twelve inch subs needs around 3 to 3.5 cubic feet if ported. thats a pretty big box. no way in hell you will fit three subs if you do it correctly