Suggestions regarding overheating problems...HELP PLZ!!

00CivicSiblue

i just put a cold air intake on my Si. noticed power gain but when my car is in idle for several minutes my car begins to over heat....never did that until i put the C.A.I any ideas? this would be a big help esp since my knowledge with cars is a bare minimum:(

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
Coincidence perhaps? Did you nick a coolant hose somewhere during the installation? Check for leaks.

00CivicSiblue

Yeah ive checked for leaks thought maybe my cat converter is going out not sure to find that out, also there is a strange smell like something is burning. i need an oil change which im doing this weekend so i just am clueless and definately frustrated lol. everything from what i can tell seems to be in place nothing is bad or loose except my ac hose or pipe by my intake is cracked but i havent used my ac at all so im not sure.:???:

explodingcake

You have a small leak somewhere it's hard to see. Dig deeper , could be the A/C hose you talking about starting to give.

00CivicSiblue

yeah the fan comes on, what strikes me as a bit odd is that during the day it will not over heat when in idle for a long period of time, but at night is when it does. opened up the hood fan does come on. Never had a honda before this car so im pretty confused

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
could be thermostat, that is usually the answer to overheating in most cases. when was the last time u changed it. check for all external leaks, hoses. look in your radiator, whats happening to the coolant? are u loosing coolant?

00CivicSiblue

ok the motor mount has been replaced twice already in less than 6 months. idk y i am going thru so many of these in a short period of time. as far as the thermastat goes i gotr the car in april spo i havent changed it. should i just to be cautious? idk when or if its ever been replaced. as far as leaks go there are no visible leaks. ill check the radiator again to see the levels. thanx for the advice everyone=)

Modest Throttle

Registered VIP
I'm having repeated over heating problems too. Try flushing the cooling system, it'll clear up some things and that's what I'm gonna do my next day off. I'm also planning on doing the t-stat, and they're pretty cheap for our cars so you could give that a try as well. My first Civic too, and I feel ya on the frustrated thing. Mine only does it every other week so I get really damn pissed when it happens haha. But yeah check coolant resevoir and see if it's murky brown, if it is then you got a oil leak somewhere in the head and that s**t ain't good for the cooling system

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just pray its not the head gasket, thats a b***h to fix. not to mention big bucks. How to tell? if white smoke comes out of your tail pipe, or if your engine oil looks funky, like it has coolant in it.

00CivicSiblue

went to change out my t-stat and what was bizzare is that not much water came out when i went to replace it. i checked my radiator before all that few days prior which to me looked like it was full. im such a dumbass that my water was very low. lol so ever since then there has been no over heating. as for white smoke there isnt any

00CivicSiblue

there isnt any white smoke. that was my first worry but since there isnt any smoke i know its not the head gasket thank god. my bro cracked his head gasket on his 89 prelude and 92 accord and those were such a b***h to fix he just sold them. im bound not to make the same mistakes hes made lol

mixwell

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
make sure you get the bubbles out of your coolant system.

start your car with the radiator cap off, let the bubbles come out. squeeze the hoses to make sure you get them all out. top it off again while making sure no bubbles are coming up still. put the cap on. done.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

start your car with the radiator cap off, let the bubbles come out. squeeze the hoses to make sure you get them all out. top it off again while making sure no bubbles are coming up still. put the cap on. done.
make sure the car is slightly sloped upwards, and run the car with the heater full blast, and do as above, let it run for 30 minutes, the fan should turn on 2x.

00CivicSiblue

make sure the car is slightly sloped upwards, and run the car with the heater full blast, and do as above, let it run for 30 minutes, the fan should turn on 2x.
ok finally fixed my thermastat put all new hoses only took me all effin day but now my overheating has finally stopped!! thank you everone for the advice!!! now its just to find out how to stop breaking motor mounts:(

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

no need to squeeze the hoses.
honda service manual says to leave the cap off, turn the heat on (fan speed does not matter), and let the car idle until the fan comes on at least 2-3 times