Sun Roof Maintanence?

RottenEG6

EG King
5+ Year Member
so i bought a 95 si and the sunroof struggles real bad (needs to be assisted to go up and come in to close) but it opens ok after it goes up and closes good after its helped to get started..the rails are dirty as s**t and i was thinking about cleaning them up real good than adding some new grease but other than that what else can i do to help this out

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you pretty much hit the nail right on the head. since pulling the sunroof assembly out isnt an option, i use brakekleen on a rag and wipe the tracks out the best you can. then apply a medium coat of white lithium grease in there. that should do it for your tracks. just keep it clean

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sometimes mine seems not to go up or down, but that's when the car isn't on. Are you trying to close it after you turn the car off? I think it's something to do with the battery not supplying enough power unless the motor is on and the alternator is running, but this could just be in my case.

RottenEG6

EG King
5+ Year Member
its while on also..i think its just really dirty and never used before me

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cuz since i have been using it it has got a little better
you need to stop using it and get it cleaned out. all youre doing is spreading the problem further back into the tracks which is a pain to get to. get it cleaned out.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'll agree that dropping a moonroof assembly IS NOT fun. You have to remove some interior panels on the pillars, then the headliner. It's easiest to close the glass and pull the glass out through the top after you remove the screws from the plastic underneath. The one I had to drop had no power though, and I didn't know about the bit that fits in (moonroof tool stolen) to close it manually until after I got it out.

Mine (6th gen) unfortunately has been making a weird rattle from behind my head but I can't figure it out. I've looked at my other full assembly and can't see a thing that could make any sort of chatter like I'm getting occasionally in mine (it doesn't change if it's opened, closed, popped, etc).

Kamikaze

Sesquipedalian
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've had the same issue - with opening, not closing. I found that if I hit "crack/open" button I need to push the moonroof up, but if I hit the "open all the way" button, it opens fine. I did lube the tracks with some lithium grease and that seemed to help, just haven't done it in years.

Take some time and clean out the rails well, then lube 'em up well and you should be okay (and keep 'em lubed regularly if that's what fixes yer prob)

EGHseries

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
take it out before it gets to bad and clean every track well that is all your doing is spreading the problem then grease the track again properly

RottenEG6

EG King
5+ Year Member
thanks for everyones input...

how do i remove it? i read from above to remove the screws is that it?

jmr828

5+ Year Member
i've got a 6th gen sitting in my shop right now, i'm not sure if its the exact same but if so, remove everything thats attached to the headliner (this doesnt have to be the first step), the clothes hanger things (i suck at "professional" names), and the visors. You'll have to pull out all the pillars, the plastic pieces, mine were just held in by clips, a flat head and some patience and you can pop them out no problem, just don't get too eager and ruin the clips. After everything that is touching the headliner is removed, pop off those two things located just behind your head, after those are unclipped remove the molding from the interior of your sunroof, this molding keeps your headliner in place (i never took it out and wripped half my headliner till i realized how to do it right). after the molding is out from around the inside of the sunroof, start to pull back the headliner until its all removed, other than that your headliner is glued to the roof so just pull on it but be very cautious so you don't ruin it. There's a few hex screws that are bolted to the roof of the car, remove all of those and it should come right out, atleast mine did.