Surging idle on B16

HYPHYinMy4DR

5+ Year Member
Hey CC'ers
I've been having this problem ever since I remember, reading thru threads and everything and still couldnt fix it right.

Heres my problem. While engines at normal operating temp. at idle, at times the rpm would surge from 800 down to like 100 or lower and then comes back up.

Also on cold days, the idle would just pulsate up and down till the engines at normal operating temp. then back to surging.

Did most of what ppl had to say, vacuum lines, cleaned iac, throttle body, new pvc valve, new cap/rotor, coil, etc.

well, any help would be great! Thanks in advance.. =)

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i would say idle control sensor but you said you already cleaned that so im stumped

i love your screen name though ... im also from the bay (kinda ... does napa count)

mr_ducksauce

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sometimes cleaning the IACV will not work...if the cars been parked or the motor has been sitting for awhile, u might need to buy a new IACV. The b16s , i am not positive that they come with the FITV which is the fast idle .... valve something something that helps the car warm up when its a cold start. If the b16 does have that ...i think u have to take that out and take it apart and screw the inner part in or something like that. Also check your antifreeze level and make sure its full and that u bled the system as well b/c that can cause a bad idle as well.

murph

5+ Year Member
hey man...i had the same problem.....im about 90% sure its the FITV....its located under the throttle body....has two coolant lines connected to it, one going in and one coming out. Take the valve off and unscrew the plastic part......u may have to take note of how many screw turns u do...because it controls how high your car idles also. What seems to be happening is that this part is getting gunked up. My problem was that my coolant lines were bypased for an aftermarket throttle body. Well i switched back to stock and forgot to put the coolant lines back on....because the valve didn't get to heat up as much as it needed, my cars idle would surge also. Read this it helped me http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=699787

murph

5+ Year Member
not a problem bud....i spent forever trying to figure the same thing out....let us know how it works....and spread the word when you see someone else with the same types of threads...i didn't realize but it seems to be quite a large problem for many many people.

HYPHYinMy4DR

5+ Year Member
yeah i kno, ive been at it ever since last summer man.. im going to see if theres a FITV on my jdm b16a2.. so busy at work sometimes i dont even have time to fix my car..

well, ill let you guys know how it goes.. thanks again!