suspension choices

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
Ok so lets start off by saying i lowered my car the super cheap way (ebay sleeves+stock shocks) and my shocks were gone in a month. Im not sure if its possible but i swear the springs on the actuall kit are gone . My car has become very bouncy more then before and its an uncomfortable ride:x. My thing is i came up with a decent list on cheap setups under 650 ican do im not asking what i should get but more on whats best to do. so on to my list know im missing some things this is going off of cc store and such.

(full coilovers)
progress tech series2-$587.50
yonaka spec1-$599.00
F&F type 1-$580.00-$630.00

(shock/springs sold together)
eibach pro-$476.13
eiback sport-$476.13
tokico hpk-$459.47-1.5'' drop

(cheap sleeves/shock combo pieced by me )
skunk2 sleeves/skunk2 sport shock-$572.00
tokico hp(blue)/my sleeves-$285.82
kyb gr-2/my sleeves-$259.91
gc/kyb gr-2-$559.00 or blue's-$585.82

what im mainly considering is just the skunk2 sport shock wiht my sleeves or the blues with my sleeves, Seing as buying replacement shocks from a parts store autozone advanced etc. runs between 55-120+ a shock wich is pretty steep for not being oem. My question is what should i do what i mentioned above or just a whole new set up or just start saving for full coilovers wich i dont wanna do considering the fact that im getting rid of the car as soon a i can. all inputs will be appreciated.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
blues dont like large drops, but i say go with progress. I hear good things about them. I like my skunk2 pro c's also

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
i mean i'm not looking to slam so if blues can handle a simple drop i'll grab those. I would hustle up the money for full coilovers but im not planning on keeping car long maybe till summer im just looking for quick solutions. i rather buy aftermarket and boost value and comfortability then pay for just replacements.

Aaron.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
FF type 1s for sure, i have them on my wagon and my bro has them on his hatch and they are awesome

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok so lets start off by saying i lowered my car the super cheap way (ebay sleeves+stock shocks) and my shocks were gone in a month. Im not sure if its possible but i swear the springs on the actuall kit are gone . My car has become very bouncy more then before and its an uncomfortable ride:x. My thing is i came up with a decent list on cheap setups under 650 ican do im not asking what i should get but more on whats best to do. so on to my list know im missing some things this is going off of cc store and such.

(full coilovers)
progress tech series2-$587.50
yonaka spec1-$599.00
F&F type 1-$580.00-$630.00

(shock/springs sold together)
eibach pro-$476.13
eiback sport-$476.13
tokico hpk-$459.47-1.5'' drop

(cheap sleeves/shock combo pieced by me )
skunk2 sleeves/skunk2 sport shock-$572.00
tokico hp(blue)/my sleeves-$285.82
kyb gr-2/my sleeves-$259.91
gc/kyb gr-2-$559.00 or blue's-$585.82

what im mainly considering is just the skunk2 sport shock wiht my sleeves or the blues with my sleeves, Seing as buying replacement shocks from a parts store autozone advanced etc. runs between 55-120+ a shock wich is pretty steep for not being oem. My question is what should i do what i mentioned above or just a whole new set up or just start saving for full coilovers wich i dont wanna do considering the fact that im getting rid of the car as soon a i can. all inputs will be appreciated.
Hopefully people looking into super cheap suspensions learn something from this since it's a perfect example. Start fresh, throw out the shocks and those crap coilovers you got.

My personal opinions on your choices you listed:

Progress coilovers- IMO real good bang for buck coilover. Good company, good spring rates, and good quality. I'd buy them for my daily driver if I wanted to blow money on it...
Yonaka- Heard of them, don't know anything about them. Looking at their website, I wouldn't go near their products... Their "about us" description sounds like a joke lol.
F&F- A lot of people here live by them but then again none of them are serious into motorsports racing... Which is why I never recommend them. They were(?, I question because I've heard mixed things) manufactured by the same company that does others like D2, Megan, etc.. which are all junk. I wouldn't touch them.

Eibach Prokit: Great company and reliable products. This setup will offer a good, sporty ride. Not a crazy drop and obviously not adjustable.
Eibach Sportline: Same thing but these springs will lower a bit more and are a bit stiffer than the prokit.
Tokico HP: Good product, I speak from first hand experience with them. Springs are soft, just a little stiffer than stock and don't lower a lot but they provide a great, smooth ride for a daily driver. Nothing crazy.

Skunk2 sleeve/shock: Decent product, I'm personally not a huge fan of Skunk2. These springs are very stiff and the shocks are pretty aggressively valved so the ride is going to be the most harsh out of all the one's you mentioned. A lot of people complain about that, but it's all a matter of preference.
Tokico blue/your coilovers: Bad idea. The Tokico Blue shocks are essentially OE replacement shocks. Expect the same to happen with these that happened with your current shocks. Like I suggested before, lose your cheap coilovers!
KYB GR2/your coilovers: Exact same as the Tokico blues, they are OE replacements. Bad idea, don't do it.
GC/GR2: I always recommend GC, best bang for buck coilover you can get IMO. However, their "standard" spring rates may be a bit high for the KYB GR2 shocks. I'd suggest getting either the Koni STR.T or Eibach Shocks if you're going with GC's standard spring rates.

i mean i'm not looking to slam so if blues can handle a simple drop i'll grab those. I would hustle up the money for full coilovers but im not planning on keeping car long maybe till summer im just looking for quick solutions. i rather buy aftermarket and boost value and comfortability then pay for just replacements.
Like mentioned, the Tokico shocks are OE replacements. I would not go lower than 1.75" with soft springs with those shocks.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Function form, d2 and megan are all different.

JDMxDB8

Corners > Straights
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can get the Skunk2 Pro-S Version 2 for around $600 brand new.

darksolderx

5+ Year Member
Function and Form type 2's are like 800$ drop real nice as you can see in the picture and even with such a furious drop they still ride decent, and if thats too much you can get the type 1's for 600 or maybe cheaper

Ron...

5+ Year Member
I like my F&F Type II's, but as civexspeedy said, I haven't done anything but daily them...yet. I might autox this summer, all depends.

Back on topic, do what he said and throw out what you already have. If you want a nice small drop I'd go with the pro or sport. Thats just MO.

Mugen.Kid

5+ Year Member
I have FF Type 1's and you can go really low without compromising ride quality. Im just switching over to some tein h-techs since the roads here in Toronto suck and I do a lot of driving. I love the stance, love the adjustability, but they're a little too stiff for my liking. I'd say go with the Type 1's if you have smooth roads where you are..

EG2

Function and Form Type 1. I recently dropped my del Sol on them and not only are they affordable, they ride amazing and adjusting is relatively simple