Suspension help.

civicOG

Ok CC members I am changing the shocks on my 00 EK to Adjustable Koni Yellows this weekend. I need to know if I need a spring compressor for the coilovers already on the car when I remove the old shocks? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks Guys!

Update: Sold the EK coupe. I purchased a 99 Civic sedan. Went with GC coilovers and tophats. I am going to lower this car right.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
No need for a spring compressor but its highly recommended. When I don't use a spring compressor I stand about 10 feet from a hard a service. Disassemble the strut n let the spring launch towards that hard surface.

Sent from my LG-E379 running ICSyndicate 2.0

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
You won't have an issue because the coil over is shorter then a factory spring. So when you pull the assembly off it won't be under any tension.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You won't have an issue because the coil over is shorter then a factory spring. So when you pull the assembly off it won't be under any tension.

^This

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Yep, I remember I rented a compressor once and I didn't need it at all.

I have Adjustable Koni Yellows + Ground Controls.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You only need a compressor if you have stock or lowering springs. The springs on adjustable coilovers are much shorter and when the suspension is at full droop, there is no more pressure on the spring.

If you haven't done your research already, you may want to make sure the coilovers you have will fit the Koni's before you tear into and run into a surprise. For example, Ground-Control makes shock specific sleeves for exact fit.

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you haven't done your research already, you may want to make sure the coilovers you have will fit the Koni's before you tear into and run into a surprise. For example, Ground-Control makes shock specific sleeves for exact fit.
This is very important

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah there are over 10 different spring options for GC, most fit a few different types but Konis have a specific fitment.

civicOG

Very helpful. Thanks for all the responses. I may hold off on installing or just remove one coilover to test. Thanks for the help. This is why I love the Honda community!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2