Suspension Issues

imu7899

Alright guys, new to the forums, having a serious time oriented problem with my suspension. I'll give you guys a quick overview of my past week lol. I had a 94 coupe and I blew a head gasket so I finally just decided to buy a new car. I found a 92 boosted EG hatch and got it. We knew the car sat way lower than we wanted and were told it was on adjustable coilovers which is definitely not true. We were putting my GT3's on it and tried to pull out of the parking spot to find it was scrubbing horribly bad. The suspension is a joke, I honestly don't know how it drives. Thats the quick and easy of it =P I'm planning on just taking my suspension off of my coupe and putting it on my hatch, but have NO clue how to remove it, or how hard it will be. I looked in the How-to section, with no luck. I hear its pretty simple, but hearing is not as good as seeing. Anyone have any decent links to point me to a good tutorial or how-to on taking off and putting on front and rear suspension? I have to have this done by monday evening (I'm in the Army and they're sick of me missing work) SO any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!!!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
two nuts on the strut tower in the engine bay. a bolt onthe bottom going through the strut. let the brake assembly fall and the front is removed. the rear is the same process plus taking the lower control arm loose..

very easy. dont worry, u cant f**k it up unless the bolts are seized. get some wd 40 and some pb blaster and call it a day...

imu7899

Should I trust a 4 ton jack, or do I need to go buy jackstands? Possible to get the suspension off of the coupe and put it on the hatch in one day? With no lift? lol

imu7899

Also, will I need any special tools? How will I compress the springs, etc?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if the car is sitting that low, u wont need to compress the srpings. i have put coilovers on several vehicles with just honda scissor jacks.. not saying its safe, but always have a friend around.

u should be fine with a 4 ton jack as long as it doesnt bleed off, but jack stands are like $25 at harbor freight, so y not go grab some. they will come in handy a bunch of times down the road!

u will need a 1/2" ratchet preferably and a 14mm socket i believe(its been awhile since i have done this). then u may need a hammer and a pry bar, but i can do it with a little muscle and some elbow grease lulz...

dont let this get the best of u, its really very easy :thumbs up

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and yes, u can use the coupe suspension on the hatch..

imu7899

Well I figured out the suspension indeed is really easy to remove, BUT I ran into another issue, one of the stud nuts on the inside of the engine bay (the 14mm ones) is rounded, and won't come off at all, so I am unable to remove the strut obviously. Any ideas? I cant get a hacksaw in there, and I'm afraid to damage the stud itself!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
drill it out and get a new one at a hardware store..

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do u have a dremel or a grinder? access to a cutting torch? they make ratchet heads that will remove rounded bolts or u can use a screw driver and a hammer also..

94civickid

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
f**k that suspension all the way around no need to trade springs or anything just pull the whole strut and replace with the whole strut from your coupe

imu7899

Alright well, I have to hold off on suspension, because I can't find an easy out kit anywhere in my town, and I work tomorrow morning, so cab time it is! Also, I know this is a little off topic, but we were changing out my injectors on my hatch, and snapped one of the studs from the intake mani. Seeing that mine are aftermarket studs, and I'm pretty sure the brand is ebay ( S PRO) Where the hell am I going to find another stud? I googled "S PRO" with no luck. The bolts are wider on the bottom, and then get small on top for the nut on top of the fuel rail! Any suggestions?

ps: Just imagine my wife's joy from all these issues with the new car I just bought! =)

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get a haynes manual from the auto parts store and look in the suspension section...

imu7899

Well I have the suspension issue figured out, thats easy. It's my fuel rail stud I need now.